Author Topic: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron  (Read 336021 times)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Gravy from vist to Saffron
« Reply #240 on: February 02, 2008, 11:44 AM »
That's right Ast. I have used the Darth Madras, the CK Lamb Bhuna and some of my own freestyle curries, based around the Darth Madras with a little of this and that (I like a bit of fresh chili and Garam Masala, Methi etc. etc.) It has worked better than making any of these recipes with the authors suggested base - what a treat!

SnS, fantastic post - puts my image postings to shame. Having seen the ingredients laid out like that it really helps, I need more onion. Lol, you know when you said a large carrot? Well I've been eagerly seeking out these massive GM numbers (no FAGS jokes here please ;)) I think in future... less carrot!

Does the sweet Paprika make much difference over the standard kind. Also, it's easier for me to get Nicola salad potatoes. I guess your gonna say something like "the chef was very specific about the variety" but since they are similar salad potatoes do you think I can get away with them?

Offline ast

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 02, 2008, 12:01 PM »
...some of my own freestyle curries...

You tryin to start a new sport there, Bobby?? ;D

Where's the 2008 Freestyle Curry Competition to be held?  I need to clear my schedule...

;D ;D

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 02, 2008, 03:01 PM »
BTW SnS, did you ever give my vindaloo recipe (or even the Jalfrezi) that I use with this base a shot?  If so, I'd be really interested to hear what you thought of it.  I still haven't gotten a chance to vary either the amounts or the composition of the spice mix yet.  I have tried it at both mild and madras strength though, and I thought it was still pretty good.

Hi Ast

Used your Lamb Vindaloo recipe last weekend but without the Lamb and lamb stock (as I was using prawns). As far as I can recall, it was very hot and tasty, but to be honest we'd had a couple of bottles of wine (doing a bit of a Floyd, as you do when cooking) so I need to do it again when sober to make a better analysis.

As far as I can recall everything else was as per your recipe below (lamb bits omitted) and I also added a tsp of lemon juice.

AST'S VINDALOO ... Lamb version originally posted here http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2271.140.html

200ml Saffron curry base (shaken, not stirred.... )
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1/4 cooking onion, chopped (approx 40g or so)
2 tbsp minced garlic (approx 2-4 cloves, depending on their size)
1 pre-boiled (but not quite cooked completely), small salad potato, halved
2 tsp tomato puree (double-concentrate)
8 small green chillies, thinly sliced
2 tsp extra hot chilli powder
1 large pinch of dried methi leaves

"Haldi's Takeaway" Spice Mix (courtesy of Haldi's recent posts)

1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp corriander powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp Madras curry powder
1/4 tsp ground cumin

METHOD (basically the same as in the original Madras recipe)

As I've now restocked the gravy freezer, I will be cooking your Vindaloo again this weekend (possibly without the wine!)

Regards

SnS  ;D
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 04:11 PM by smokenspices »

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 02, 2008, 03:28 PM »
Does the sweet Paprika make much difference over the standard kind.

As far as I'm aware Bobby, there are three type of Paprika, all of which have a relatively short shelf life (never use Paprika after the recommended date - it's orrible).

Hungarian paprika - the common stuff - is also know as sweet paprika, rose paprika or pimento pepper. Hot paprika (hotter peppers) and smoked paprika (smoked peppers) are less common and will impart a different taste.

Just use the standard hungarian paprika (this is sweet).

(I still have no conclusive information regarding Deghi Mirch. I gather it is made from a sweet, mild kasmiri chilli)

Also, it's easier for me to get Nicola salad potatoes. I guess your gonna say something like "the chef was very specific about the variety" but since they are similar salad potatoes do you think I can get away with them?

I'll let you into secret. The new recipe now says "salad potatoes" (no mention of Charlotte). Yesterday, I used a type called Juliette which looked the same as Charlotte and I couldn't tell the difference. Obviously, in future I will try to buy Charlotte, but I'm not going to worry too much about using a slightly different variety, so I guess you shoudn't either.

Regards

SnS  ;D

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 02, 2008, 03:45 PM »
(I still have no conclusive information regarding Deghi Mirch. I gather it is made from a sweet, mild kasmiri chilli)

Whatever it is I can assure you it's definitely not mild, well at least the MDH version isn't.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 02, 2008, 03:48 PM »
I'll let you into secret. The new recipe now says "salad potatoes" (no mention of Charlotte).

I'd be prepared to wager that you could use any potato and it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference.

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 02, 2008, 04:05 PM »
I'll let you into secret. The new recipe now says "salad potatoes" (no mention of Charlotte).

I'd be prepared to wager that you could use any potato and it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference.

here we go again ...........

SnS  :-\

Offline ast

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 02, 2008, 05:45 PM »
Hi Ast

Used your Lamb Vindaloo recipe last weekend but without the Lamb and lamb stock (as I was using prawns). As far as I can recall, it was very hot and tasty, but to be honest we'd had a couple of bottles of wine (doing a bit of a Floyd, as you do when cooking) so I need to do it again when sober to make a better analysis.

As far as I can recall everything else was as per your recipe below (lamb bits omitted) and I also added a tsp of lemon juice.

[snip]

As I've now restocked the gravy freezer, I will be cooking your Vindaloo again this weekend (possibly without the wine!)

No worries, SnS.  Like I said, just wondering what you thought.  I wonder if there's any equivalent to get a bit of "prawn stock" going for a prawn one.  I thought that the addition of the lamb/chicken stock from the pre-cooking stage really made a difference to the final taste.  I need to do a side-by-side comparison at some stage to confirm, but that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it! ;D

Of course, the wine might've made all the difference in the world... ;D

My guess it's the consistency of the potato that's the most important vs. the particular variety.  The French Exquisa (or whatever it was exactly) that I used seemed to match the texture profile for the Charlotte.  I wouldn't want to see the results of using a really floury potato--even in the quantities mentioned.  It would melt away to nothing and probably end up adding very little.

Cheers,

ast

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 02, 2008, 07:59 PM »

Whatever it is I can assure you it's definitely not mild, well at least the MDH version isn't.

Everything I've managed to find out about Deghi Mirch and the Kasmiri chilli fruit "Deghi Mirchi", indicates that it is used primarily as a red food colouring and is as mild and sweet as Hungarian or Spanish paprika. Generally Deghi Mirch should not be hot. If you are using the MDH brand of Deghi Mirch and it is hot, then don't use this in the recipe - use Hungarian Paprika instead.

Regards

SnS  ;D

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 02, 2008, 08:08 PM »
I wouldn't want to see the results of using a really floury potato...It would melt away to nothing and probably end up adding very little.

The problem with that agument is that the potato, whetever type it is, gets blitzed into non existence along with all the other ingredients. If you look at the majority of  base sauce recipes they don't contain potato and I think this is another good argument for it not being neccessary. The only real effect the potato will have is to thicken up the sauce due to its starch content and that's just not required.

©2024 Curry Recipes