Author Topic: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron  (Read 337548 times)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Gravy from vist to Saffron
« Reply #270 on: February 10, 2008, 01:42 PM »
Great pic SS, looks fantastic and I don't even like korma's  8)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 10, 2008, 02:00 PM »
Great pic SS, looks fantastic and I don't even like korma's  8)

Ha Ha. Freudian slip CK. I hope that was meant to be SnS ?

;D

Thanks anyway  ;)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 28, 2008, 07:57 AM »
Posted by vmixture

The one thing that I dont quite understand is regarding the spices and the base. Are they simply added raw to the boiling liquid? With every other base ive tried they seem to be fried gently first, this seems a little different.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 28, 2008, 07:59 AM »
Posted by SnS

The one thing that I dont quite understand is regarding the spices and the base. Are they simply added raw to the boiling liquid? With every other base ive tried they seem to be fried gently first, this seems a little different.

Yes, in the base they are added exactly like you say.

Also, not all spices in all curries are fried first. Some are added without frying and at later stages.

SnS  ;D

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 28, 2008, 08:00 AM »
Posted by vmixture

Yes, in the base they are added exactly like you say.

Also, not all spices in all curries are fried first. Some are added without frying and at later stages.

SnS  ;D

Thanks mate...as we speak your sauce is in the initial 40 min boil phase

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 28, 2008, 08:01 AM »
Posted by vmixture

I hope this pot is going to be big enough (The Spry crisp n dry is not being used as vegetable oil)  ;)

I also failed to get a green pepper thinking I already had one so I substituted it with an orange one so im expecting a slightly sweeter taste

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 28, 2008, 08:02 AM »
Posted by SnS

Hi vmix
Looking good so far .. need a bigger pot?  ::)

I don't suppose for one moment the base taste will change noticeably whether the pepper is red, yellow, orange or green.
Look forward to seeing your final review (on the Saffron base gravy thread of course). ;)

Regards

SnS  ;D

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 28, 2008, 08:03 AM »
Posted by vmixture

Hi vmix
Looking good so far .. need a bigger pot?  ::)

I don't suppose for one moment the base taste will change noticeably whether the pepper is red, yellow, orange or green.
Look forward to seeing your final review (on the Saffron base gravy thread of course). ;)

Regards

SnS  ;D

Of course I will post the pics there but as I seem to have started here it only made sense to carry on for the time being. I will put all the pics into one post along with my thoughts of the base when its all done.

More pics

Offline vmixture

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 28, 2008, 08:23 AM »
Well the base is complete and after a quick taste test nothing new really to report. Very nice consistency, but not huge hit of flavour which of course there isnt supposed to be in this recipe. If I get a chance today I will use to to make a jalfrezi and give an update then, For the time being I'm looking for empty water bottles so I can start freezing  ;D

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 28, 2008, 10:23 AM »
Well the base is complete and after a quick taste test nothing new really to report. Very nice consistency, but not huge hit of flavour which of course there isn't supposed to be in this recipe. If I get a chance today I will use to to make a jalfrezi and give an update then, For the time being I'm looking for empty water bottles so I can start freezing  ;D

Hi VMix

You are of course 100% correct about the taste. It is meant to be rather bland and not dominated by spices. This provides the versatility to use with many different curries. If of course you are looking to make a base to use specifically with one type of curry then there are some better bases (Darth's for Madras for example).

Just wondered, did the oil separate during stage 2 as shown in the photos. I assume your last photo was just after blending and before oil separation?

Regards

SnS  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes