Author Topic: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron  (Read 337540 times)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Gravy from vist to Saffron
« Reply #290 on: March 01, 2008, 11:44 AM »
Hi Sns

Just made your curry base and a Chicken Madras (from your madras recipe). I have tried several of the bases here, but this is the best so far for me. many thanks!
Looking forward to trying the base with some other recipes now.

kind regards
Christo

Hi Christo

Welcome to the forum and look forward to seeing more of your posts.

I'm pleased you finally found a base gravy recipe to your taste.

However, as you probably have "some" base gravy left and you like Madras style curry, I recommend that you try Ast's Madras/Vindaloo recipe here (reduce chilli for Madras)

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2271.msg20297.html#msg20297

or Ast's Jalfezi here

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2326.msg19966.html#msg19966

or use Cory Ander's Madras/Vindaloo/Phall recipes here

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,1714.0.html
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2293.msg20497.html#msg20497

These will be superior to the simple Madras recipe I posted in this thread.

Good luck

Regards

SnS  ;D

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 01, 2008, 12:33 PM »
I have tried several of the bases here, but this is the best so far for me

Hi Christo and welcome to cr0!  8)

Which other curry bases did you try please?

Look forward to seeing more posts from you in the future too!  :)

Online christo

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 02, 2008, 05:41 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome to the forum, and the recipe links (SnS)

The last base I tried was Admin's New Base Sauce which made a very nice curry (with Curry King's Bhuna recipe) , but I felt the seasoning of the base was too strong for a base sauce. I have also tried Kris Dillon, and a not so good base sauce recipe I got from the Natco spice webpage.

A problem I have often had with base sauces is trying to get a subtle balance of fresh garlic and ginger so that there is not a raw flavour at the end, I have tried doing this by cooking the fresh garlic and ginger by frying and boiling. With  Saffron's recipe I used a prepreared garlic/ginger mince from a jar (for the first time) and was very happy with the result. The only strange ingredient for me is the potato. Without sounding like Secret Santa (sorry!) I may well try my next batch of sauce with no potato and a couple more onions as a replacement. I will of course post the results in the forum. Thanks again SnS for the great recipe!!

A quick question that I someone may be able to help with - I can never access the photo attachments on this forum (so have not seen SnS's series on the base sauce making) but do not otherwise have this problem with other sites, any suggestions??

Cheers
Christo

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 02, 2008, 09:21 AM »
Hi christo,

What do you see in place of the photos an X?

Pictures from the start of this thread seem to be working ok so it could be your end although that doesn't explain why you can view pics on other sites  :-\

Online christo

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 02, 2008, 09:37 AM »
Hi Curry King

Online christo

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 02, 2008, 09:40 AM »
Hi Curry King, yes just an X in top left corner of an otherwise blank picture. Sorry to go off topic, it probably is to do with my computer security setup, but not sure how to fix.

Thanks
Christo

Online christo

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 02, 2008, 09:59 AM »
Hi Curry King

Just managed to fix it and for the first time am able to look at the pics on this forum. It was a firewall setting on my laptop. I'm off to look at SnS's post with pics now!

Christo

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 02, 2008, 05:58 PM »
Without sounding like Secret Santa (sorry!)
Christo

Jesus christo! (See what I did there? I was going to say jesus christ, but I put your nick in instead. No? Oh well...). Anyway, don't start another alias rumour or there'll be no end to it.  :)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 04, 2008, 10:17 PM »
I made another Korma tonight for "her indoors" (King Prawn) using a different (and much easier) method than the last, but still using the Saffron base. She ate like she'd been starved for a week. Best ever - or so she claims. I reckon the result was really close to BIR taste (and looks) .. or better.

I'll be trying it again this weekend (just to make sure I can repeat it), and if the results are the same I'll be back with a detailed (illustrated) recipe posting .. for all those mild creamy curry lovers.

SnS  ;D (stuffed with King Prawn/Mushroom/Saag Jalfezi .. xtra hot ... phew!)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 05, 2008, 08:27 AM »
i am not keen on turmeric and this needs to be kept in mind on my feedback.

i was very interested in the salad potatoes not having bought/tasted before and sceptical whether normal pots could be used (i use for thickening gravy so convinced on there use). the salad pots do have a much better taste but would have to remake the base with normal pots to convince myself salad pots are essential.

i tasted as i went and probably cooked for 1 1/2 hrs at stage 1 (40mins) to be sure i'd got sweetness.

upto putting the turmeric in i was sold on the taste. in the finished curry (made chris303 rogan josh) the turmeric was less of an issue but still did not sit well for me. i would reduce to 5ml (from 25ml) on my next go.

everything else was spot on and clearly an excellent base (background is KD, followed by parker21 - adopted norm, followed by development base). i particularly like the absence of chilli (can be added at cooking stage) and the high yield.

Overall with the turmeric reduced i would say 9/10.

©2024 Curry Recipes