Author Topic: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron  (Read 337611 times)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron
« Reply #310 on: March 14, 2008, 12:51 PM »
Here's a possibility. Once I'm done cooking the base, I leave it on the hob (halogen) which still has a little residual heat to cool. This photo is of the finished base, at rest, on the hob, a couple of hours after I finished cooking.

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 14, 2008, 01:08 PM »
Here's a possibility. Once I'm done cooking the base, I leave it on the hob (halogen) which still has a little residual heat to cool. This photo is of the finished base, at rest, on the hob, a couple of hours after I finished cooking.

Despite the fact there is no oil on the surface (dark), doesn't explain the much lighter gravy colouring. Any thoughts on that Bobby? I also used standard sweet paprika last time and mine was much darker than that. Strange eh?

SnS ;D

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 14, 2008, 01:25 PM »
I just used the tub of Paprika's by Rajah - I've not checked the label at the back. Maybe CA's Paprika's different. I know the stuff from Sainburys is far duller than the Rajah stuff, which is pretty florescent.

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 14, 2008, 02:32 PM »
Fluorescent paprika!  I do hope its not full of that carcinogenic 'sudan red' dye there was such a kerfuffle about in chillie powder recently!!

I'm sure  a brand like that wouldn't stoop so low...

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 14, 2008, 02:45 PM »
I'll be making this base up tonight (from the revised recipe)....I was going to be making ifindforu's but I can't ignore this one any longer lol

I'll post up some piccies if I can get me camera working ;)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: March 14, 2008, 03:55 PM »
CA just an aside input

not unlike the cr0 base in fact

the same thought crossed my mind. had got it on my to-do list to add carrot & green pepper to CRO2 to observe what the extra veg does.

also interested on your comment re the Infinforu's which convinces me to try it next.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 14, 2008, 03:59 PM »
I was going to be making ifindforu's

Watch the coconut. I've never gonna get that batch out my mind, my freezer and my posts!!! I think 50 grams is the consensus, rather than the soap bar sized block the recipe specifys.

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 14, 2008, 05:24 PM »
Thanks Bobby ;)

The reason I've held off so long in trying that recipe is because I'm not a coconut lover either and having read some replies in that thread, I'd cut the amount too (or could I miss it out altogether?).

Of course it doesn't help that as soon as I get low on bases, someone goes and posts up another base and I never know where exactly to slip it into my list ::) ....and I'm not saying that's a bad thing :P but there's only so much time and so many curries....not to mention freezer space :o ;D

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 14, 2008, 07:29 PM »
Just blended the base and it's exactly the same in colour as the pics SnS posted :) I'll have to take some pics tomorrow as I'm out of batteries for the camera.

Smells delicious....about another 15-20 mins to go...

**EDIT** OK finished ;D I have a feeling I'm going to like this base, but then again I should as I like both Darth's and Stew's and this seems to be about half-way between the two, but now I'll have to wait 'til tomorrow when I try out a recipe :P

I'll let you know how I get on ;)

Thanks for the recipe SnS :-*
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 08:02 PM by Domi »

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 14, 2008, 09:31 PM »
Hi Domi

I almost hate to say this - but as Bobby has now completed his "side-by-side" experiment, the Saffron base appears to be quite compatable with the Rajver Madras recipe (I assume this works perfectly well without major adjustments) ...  or use one of Ast's Madras/Vindaloo/Jalfrezi recipes which are posted somewhere on this thread ...

Best regards (and good luck)

SnS  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes