Author Topic: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron  (Read 336027 times)

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron
« Reply #320 on: March 14, 2008, 10:00 PM »
whatever do you mean, SnS? 8) :P

I'll have a proper read of the thread tomorrow as I'm a tad stoned atm :o I'm really looking forward to testing this base though....it smellls lovely, in fact it smells stronger than it tastes. Speaking of taste, it has a pleasant sweetness about it (I used schwartz sweet and smoky paprika as I find it's not overly one or the other). I didn't get as much oil to rise as I was expecting, so I left the pan lid on and more oil rose as the sauce was cooling so there'll no doubt be more tomorrow ;D

Gotta say it's looking good :D

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 14, 2008, 10:09 PM »
I don't know if you've seen CA's earlier post yet, but can I ask, did you have the same pale colour that he got?

I was thinking whether this might be caused by using a starchy spud as opposed to a waxy spud. I know I might be well off track here but I'm just trying to eliminate the wierd results that CA got.

;D

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 14, 2008, 10:54 PM »
Mine is a creamy orangey colour, exactly the same as yours....unless it's darkened after cooling, I haven't checked it yet :-\ The oil makes it look darker, but I'm sure if I disturbed the oil the base would still be the same.

I used sainsburys vivaldi potatoes (as that's what I had in), I doubt potatoes would make a difference vis-a-vis darkening the sauce though ???

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 14, 2008, 11:22 PM »
It sounds like you may just have a good result there Domi  8).

I was really trying to establish whether the spud had the potential to retain the oil during the cooking process.

Others have suggested that the type of spud used is not important (and yet I was told by Raj that it was very important). I believe that others who have tried the recipe may have been tempted to use "any old spud", and for that reason have not obtained the correct result.

Without researching further, do you know now whether the spud you've used is a waxy type or a starchy type. I know it may sound a pathetic question, but it may be the answer to a few recent weird results.

Tomorrow, I'm doing my third batch of S.B.G. (or is it the fourth?) I have decided to do three batches (I've just bought 10 kg of cooking onions from Bookers at 2.99p - wow that is cheap).

1) Same as recipe + 1 xtra carrot
2) Same as recipe + 1 xtra pepper
3) Same as recipe + standard cooking spuds (not waxy salad type)

I will let you know the results.

SnS  ;D

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 14, 2008, 11:48 PM »
I was really trying to establish whether the spud had the potential to retain the oil during the cooking process.

Could be.  Could be several reasons.  Powder particle sizes (of the spice powders), for instance...but I'm sure that's probably pushing it, haha!  :P

I used Delaware or Nadine potatoes (I'm not sure which of the two they were).  Both are standard, cheap, run-of-the-mill, readily available, white-skinned spuds.  I'd be very surprised if BIRS use anything other than the cheapest spuds available that do the job.

The thing that intrigues me is that I saw the same thing (i.e. oil not separating) with the "cr0 curry base development" which (currently) has no potatoes, capsicum, tomatoes or carrots in it.  The oil separated in "curry base 1" but not in "curry base 2" (although it did when AST made it). The only (identified) difference between the two curry bases is half as much salt, in "curry base 2", and a different masala blend.  So maybe the answer lies amongst that little lot  :P

Having said that, I'm not too sure why people are hung up about the oil separating though, unless they want to salvage it.  It tends to come out in the main dish anyway.  It's only interesting in that it has separated for some people, and not others isn't it, thereby indicating a possible difference in procedure from cook-to-cook?

Haven't most people obtained a fairly light orangey-brown colour?  I'd think that Bobby's is more likely the exception here (colour wise)?  Some paprikas (and chilli powders) do have red food colouring in.

Can you ask Raj why he says the type of spud is important next time you're in there?

And are you returning for other demos (e.g. of accompanying main dishes) sometime?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 12:53 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 15, 2008, 12:07 AM »
I used Delaware or Nadine potatoes.  I'm not sure which of the two they are.  Both are standard, cheap, run-of-the-mill, readily available, white-skinned spuds.  I'd be very surprised if BIRS use anything other than the cheapest spuds available that do the job.

It may therefore surprise you that both Raj and the head chef were very specific about using the salad type spud.

Dare I suggest that this may be the reason the oil was adsorbed and your results were different. If this was the case, then ultimately we can conclude that the variety or type of spud is all important.

I can't really ask Raj why he thinks this is important. As you know, Chefs will quite often do something "just because" and they know it works but they don't actually know the answer to why it works.

SnS  ;D

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 15, 2008, 12:23 AM »
It may therefore surprise you that both Raj and the head chef were very specific about using the salad type spud

Yes it surprises me that they say that but I know that you've previously mentioned that they say it

Dare I suggest that this may be the reason the oil was adsorbed and your results were different.

You can obviously dare to suggest anything you like SnS :P 

Whether you're right or not is totally another question of course!  ;)  I also used Roma tomatoes and Canola oil.

But, to eliminate this possibility, I accept that I'd have to repeat it using a "salad type spud" (whatever that really is?).  I'd also have to keep everything else exactly the same as before.  I'm not sure I have the energy though and I'm really not that hung up about the oil separating.

If this was the case, then ultimately we can conclude that the variety or type of spud is all important

Yes, that would be the logical conclusion (if it proved to be the case)

I can't really ask Raj why he thinks this is important. As you know, Chefs will quite often do something "just because" and they know it works but they don't actually know the answer to why it works.

Yep, for sure.  That doesn't stop you from asking the question though does it (i.e. "what happens if you use another type"?)?  They might say "the oil won't rise".  I wouldn't think they'll say "I have no idea"! 

It's not like you to be backwards coming forwards SnS! Get in there man!  ;)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 12:51 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 15, 2008, 12:36 AM »
But, to eliminate this possibility, I accept that I'd have to repeat it using a "salad type spud" (whatever that really is?).  I'd also have to keep everything else exactly the same as before.  I'm not sure I have the energy though and I'm really not that hung up about the oil rising to the surface.

The point is CA (as you have in the past promoted yourself), if you are to cook from a recipe then follow it to the letter ... otherwise the results may be different.

A salad spud in UK is normally marked in the supermarkets as "salad potato" and are those small, thin skinned, waxy type (I'm sure I posted something about them a few weeks ago in answer to your same question). These are normally separated from the racks containing the standard cooking spud.

SnS   ;D

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 15, 2008, 12:40 AM »
The point is CA (as you have in the past promoted yourself), if you are to cook from a recipe then follow it to the letter ... otherwise the results may be different.

Yes, I agree with that and accept that (as I've said). 

But (as I also said) I'm not too fussed about the oil not separating.  I've seen it before (in spudless, capsicumless, tomatoeless, carrotless bases).

You, anyway, then stir it back in don't you?

Which potatoes did you use please Bobby (or others)?

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 15, 2008, 12:53 AM »
But, as I said, I'm not fussed about the oil not rising.  I've seen it before (in spudless, capsicumless, tomatoeless, carrotless bases).

You, anyway, then stir it back in don't you?

Oil separation is an important indication (to me) that a particular stage in the cooking process has been reached. Without it, something has gone wrong.

Regards

SnS  ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes