Author Topic: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron  (Read 336141 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron
« Reply #330 on: March 15, 2008, 12:59 AM »
Oil separation is an important indication (to me) that a particular stage in the cooking process has been reached

Yes, clearly it's the stage at which the oil separates.  What does that infer (that's so important) in the curry base?  Is it a good thing or a bad thing?

Without it, something has gone wrong

What do you mean "wrong"?  It's just "different" isn't it?

Maybe topics for another thread.  I'll make it again with "waxy" spuds to eliminate that as a possibility (and for no other reason)

The truth is, I personally wouldn't be interested in such a pernickity recipe  ::)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 15, 2008, 01:09 AM »
I'm not experienced enough or old enough to know why oil separation is all important but I do know that it is important in ensuring a fusion of spices/oil/other ingredients, particularly with Indian and Asian cookery.

;D

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 15, 2008, 01:17 AM »
The truth is, I personally wouldn't be interested in such a pernickity recipe  ::)

You're having a laugh surely? I thought it was you that wanted to exact a measured value for a curry base.

How can you call it "pernickity". It's a damn site more simpler to produce than the KD base.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 15, 2008, 01:21 AM »
oil separation is all important but I do know that it is important in ensuring a fusion of spices/oil/other ingredients, particularly with Indian and Asian cookery.

We're talking about the BASE here SnS, not the main dish where you're frying spices.

But this "discussion" is getting silly.  We are arguing for the sake of it.  

I have already agreed (several times) that using different potatoes MIGHT prevent the oil from separating.  Anything MIGHT prevent it from separating.

I have already agreed and accepted (several times) that I will need to make it again using "waxy" salad potatoes to see if this is the case.

But whether or not oil separation is important, or indeed desirable, in a curry base, is an interesting question that's highly debatable and probably best dealt with in a separate thread.

I will reiterate that, from what I've experienced so far with this base, there are better bases (and less fussy ones it seems) available that I would rather use (Ifindforu's and Darth's included).

Now please let's move on!  8)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 15, 2008, 01:30 AM »
oil separation is all important but I do know that it is important in ensuring a fusion of spices/oil/other ingredients, particularly with Indian and Asian cookery.

We're talking about the BASE here SnS, not the main dish where you're frying spices.

I thought we were discussing the base here.

You apparently don't think that oil separation is important in producing the base. I disagree, so if you don't mind let's not move on.

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 15, 2008, 01:37 AM »
the spuds I used were Sainsbury's taste the difference vivaldis, but I'm sure it shouldn't make any difference ;) They're ideal for mashing and buttery enough so's you don't need to add butter to your mash or whatever it says on the bumpf :P definitely not a salad spud anyways.

I doubt that the spuds would be so important as you think SnS, you can't always get salad spuds and I doubt they'd forgo making the base for the sake of using a common or garden variety of potato. I think the potato is there for texture purposes only as four salad potato-sized king edwards wouldn't soak up a great deal of the 500ml of oil in the base anyway.....

It could be that some people don't add as much water to their base, since the recipe says 2.5 ltr, enough to cover the veg (which may not be at the same level for everyone as it depends on how chunky/fine their chopping is) - or lose more of it in the cooking process, thus the vegetable pulp will hold more of the oil than a more diluted base ???

I don't use much oil at all when I make a curry normally, yet I always (unless following someone else' method) have the orangey-speckled oil stained plate as I get in the restaurants ??? I think that's more to do with the way I cook them though ;)

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 15, 2008, 01:42 AM »
blummen'eck! 2 replies since I started my reply lol

For what it's worth I don't think oil separation is important in the base either, but I do from the finished dish....and you can get that without being heavy handed with the veg oil ;)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 15, 2008, 02:04 AM »
I'm not saying the spud choice is significant at all, but what I am saying is that the Chefs that produces the gravy (ie: the Saffron) do go through the more difficult task of peeling a smaller salad spud for a reason.

This is NOT my recipe, it is the Saffron Restaurant recipe. If you choose to use different ingredients (including spuds) then on your head be it. Don't expect the same results. The recipe I've posted is as far as I know, quite precise (and most certainly not pernickity)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 15, 2008, 02:23 AM »
Yes, clearly it's the stage at which the oil separates.  What does that infer (that's so important) in the curry base?  Is it a good thing or a bad thing?

When cooking the base, Anam the "Head Chef" pointed out to me the subtle sheen caused by the breaking away of the oil from the liquid at the surface. This is an indication of a completed base (ie: turn off the heat).

I have therefore assumed that this is important. Perhaps they're wrong then?

SnS  ;D

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 15, 2008, 02:54 AM »
When cooking the base, Anam the "Head Chef" pointed out to me the subtle sheen caused by the breaking away of the oil from the liquid at the surface. This is an indication of a completed base (ie: turn off the heat).

I have therefore assumed that this is important. Perhaps they're wrong then?

No, I'm not saying they are wrong SnS.  I accept that this is the indicator they use (but a "subtle sheen" is a little different than swimming in oil, I'd suggest). 

I'm trying to understand WHY this is "an indication of a completed base".  What's actually happening (physically and/or chemically)?

I think it's a very pertinent and interesting question. 

I've started an new thread here accordingly (to keep this thread clean):  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2528.0.html

©2024 Curry Recipes