Author Topic: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron  (Read 336000 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron
« Reply #340 on: March 15, 2008, 03:06 AM »
How can you call it "pernickity". It's a damn site more simpler to produce than the KD base.

Sorry, I meant "pernickity" in that if it is so "sensitive" to, or "dependent" on, the type of potato used.  Probably a poor choice of word.

I have made the KD base a couple of times and will never make it again.  I am no lover of it, by any means.

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 15, 2008, 04:15 AM »
No, I'm not saying they are wrong SnS.  I accept that this is the indicator they use (but a "subtle sheen" is a little different than swimming in oil, I'd suggest). 

That all depends on what stage of the cooking process you're referring to? A subtle sheen while simmering = a surface of oil at rest.

If you leave it to rest, then yes, in the Saffron recipe you should have a pool of oil on the surface, as the recipe suggests.

If you decide not to follow the recipe precisely .. which you have clearly not, then don't expect 100% copy written results (come on CA, you should know this already with your experience).

Regards

SnS  ;D

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 15, 2008, 06:33 AM »
If you decide not to follow the recipe precisely .. which you have clearly not, then don't expect 100% copy written results (come on CA, you should know this already with your experience).

Yes, I've agreed and accepted that often enough, it's becoming exceedingly boring now (as I'm sure many others will agree), now let's move on  8)

PS:  SnS, please don't delete my post (I mean this one that you deleted) simply because you don't like the reply.  Thankyou!)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 15, 2008, 07:18 AM »
Okay. Is there any reason why I should delete your last post CA?

I don't think so!

Keep smiling from down-under  8)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 15, 2008, 12:16 PM »
Now, now, you two. Play nice or I won't be able to call you the chuckle brothers any more!

SnS regardless of whether the saffron recipe includes a potato or not, the vast majority of bases do not. That should tell you something shouldn't it?

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: March 15, 2008, 03:39 PM »
You're right SS. I'll tell the Saffron Restaurant chef's straight away ... or am I missing the point somewhere?

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 15, 2008, 03:52 PM »
I think far too much emphasis is being put on the potatoes....if it was so important, why do they not name the exact brand (if any) of spices used in the recipe as it is far more likely have an influence on the final taste of dishes. Potato adds very little flavour- or colour-wise, so it must only be there for texture....and I doubt that there would be a great deal of difference, given that the sauce is blended for 5 minutes, to distinguish one variety of potato from another....a more starchy potato will produce a slightly thicker sauce, but in this quantity of base-to-potato ratio it shouldn't make a great deal of difference ???

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 15, 2008, 04:03 PM »
You're right SS. I'll tell the Saffron Restaurant chef's straight away...

My goodness SnS, sarcasm really suits you!  :)

You know where I stand on the issue of the humble spud, I think you will not miss it in any way if you entirely left it out of the base sauce. I'd be willing to put money on it that (as you said) this is one of those things that has been passed from chef to chef without any knowledge of why they do it, they just do it. But that doesn't make it right.

I don't have the time or the inclination at the moment to make two lots of Saffron base to prove the point but, didn't CA say he was going to do something like that?  Should be interesting.

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 15, 2008, 07:13 PM »
OK I've just had a curry using this base ;D I used my own recipe, which has served me very well whilst used with my normal bases.

For me it has a very nice flavour, not disimilar to what I'm used to(I usually use either Darth's or Stew's new bases) but I was expecting that since this base seems to be around a half-way point of those two bases. It smelt very nice indeed, as did the base when it was cooking, but it lacked punch for me.....All in all it's a nice base, but I'm more suited to something a little more robust, although I reckon I could make a bloody good fish curry with this base as it's more subtly flavoured and wouldn't overpower the flavour of the fish.

The curry was good, but it was like a more diluted version of Stew's base for me, not necessarily a bad thing, but I think overall I prefer Stew's as I don't have to alter any of my recipes as I would have to with this base as it is, but if I were to make the base again, I'd be a little heavier handed with the spices and maybe cut down on the water.....

Still a tasty base though SnS ;) thanks for the recipe :)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 15, 2008, 07:24 PM »
I reckon I could make a bloody good fish curry with this base as it's more subtly flavoured and wouldn't overpower the flavour of the fish.

Now that's interesting. I have never made a fish curry because I don't really like fish so I don't really have any experience in this. But Ali Haydor's balti cookbook always ups the quantity of spices when he makes a fish (prawn) curry and I thought that would be to mask the fishy flavour.

That's sort of contrary to what you are saying Domi, what do you think?

©2024 Curry Recipes