Author Topic: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron  (Read 336113 times)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron
« Reply #360 on: March 17, 2008, 04:47 PM »
I obviously cannot say for sure but I can't see the addition / removal of spuds changing this base into one that everyone feels the "smell" and "taste" leap out from. My guess is that your time is better spent trying out some new bases.

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 17, 2008, 05:01 PM »
I obviously cannot say for sure but I can't see the addition / removal of spuds changing this base into one that everyone feels the "smell" and "taste" leap out from. My guess is that your time is better spent trying out some new bases.

As far as the spuds are concerned, I think you're right Bobby. I want to do a few more expriments with this one first though.

;D

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 17, 2008, 06:57 PM »
What you got in mind? I'd be interested in removing the fresh tomato and reducing the oil content. My Saffron experiences have all turned out very very oily.

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 17, 2008, 07:05 PM »
What you got in mind? I'd be interested in removing the fresh tomato and reducing the oil content. My Saffron experiences have all turned out very very oily.

1) adding another pepper or carrot (don't know which yet, probably carrot), to adjust the sweetness.
2) reducing the oil to say 350 ml.
3) using Kasmiri Mirch insrtead of paprika (taste and colour).

;D

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 18, 2008, 05:44 AM »

You know SnS I'd have a lot more faith in your (Saffron's) recipes if you used what you put in your first post, i.e. degghi mirch (you know like I did), then move on to ordinary paprika etc.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 18, 2008, 08:31 AM »
I've now had a chance to make a madras (see photo) and a biriani (photo to follow) from this base (both recipes were my own unposted recipes).

The base was darker and redder upon cooling, freezing and defrosting (though it still nowhere near as red and oily as Bobby's)

Regardless of whether the oil separated or not, this base produced very palletable and satisfactory results.  I'm sure many people would be delighted with the results.  I seems to be just about up there with the better bases on this site.  The only thing really lacking was the depth of flavour and savouriness normally associated with a decent BIR curry. 

I feel that Domi's earlier evaluation sums it up quite nicely.

I also agree with what Domi said about the potatoes.  They are sometimes added as cheaper alternative filler to onions (a restaurateur told me this) and/or to add body and texture to the base.

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 18, 2008, 09:01 AM »
The curry I made yesterday was delicious! I don't have any pics 'cos we ate it all....I made a big batch (for 4) and split it into two, one hotter the other for the kids and it was fantastic......All this base needs for me is beefing up with extra spices/garlic, which I suppose takes it closer to Stew's base really. The base as posted is a little too bland for me, it tasted watered down (Hubby's words).

The strange thing was, when I warmed up the base, then added garlic, and a half teaspoon each of cumin, coriander and turmeric, which did make it thicker (although not a great deal) but it did result in more oil being released when I gave it a brisk boil...I'd have thought the inclusion of more spice would have made it less likely to give up the oil. :-\

The base was darker and redder upon cooling, freezing and defrosting (though it still nowhere near as red and oily as Bobby's)

I think the pic Bobby posted is with the oil still on top, which makes it look dark and red...mine looked that way yesterday but the base underneath was still the same burnished orange. :) (unless I've been looking at the wrong pic - in which case, ignore me ;) lol

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 18, 2008, 09:49 AM »
I think the pic Bobby posted is with the oil still on top, which makes it look dark and red...mine looked that way yesterday but the base underneath was still the same burnished orange. :)

That's spot on Domi, mine was the colour you describe under the thick layer of bright orange oil.

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 18, 2008, 10:12 AM »

You know SnS I'd have a lot more faith in your (Saffron's) recipes if you used what you put in your first post, i.e. degghi mirch (you know like I did), then move on to ordinary paprika etc.

Hi SS

The only problem with that is the Degghi Mirch that MDS supply is too hot and is not the type Saffron used. The Degghi Mirch they use is a different brand. It is closer to the mild red stuff that I presume is made from the Kashmiri chile. The nearest I can find is from Spices of India and is called Kashmiri Mirch so I thought I'd give that a go.

Regards
SnS  ;D

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 18, 2008, 11:24 AM »
I used Schwartz Spanish Ground Paprika - sweet and smoky but not overly one or the other and gives a nice warmth to the base without overpowering the other spices :)

©2024 Curry Recipes