Author Topic: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron  (Read 336060 times)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron
« Reply #420 on: February 25, 2009, 10:48 PM »
The spanish onion no doubt would end up sweeter, not least so because you likely chopped it in larger chunks due to it's greater size over a standard cooking onion. It's naturally less bitter / oniony in the first place, so a milder flavour may well have resulted, possibly helping to bring the sweetness through.

That said, I like a base made with Spanish onions. Everyone has there own preference I guess. The BIR cash and carry's stock both and the BIR's I've seen chopping onions do tend to use really large ones, possibly Spanish, possibly not.

I'm really glad you had success with SnS's June 2008 base. It's my favourite, and I've tried more than a few! ;D

Offline windybum

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: February 27, 2009, 12:08 AM »
Hi peeps,
just made the saffron base but the oil has not seperated anyone know why? 

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: February 27, 2009, 04:23 AM »
Don't worry about it WB.

It never separated when I made it either (refer to previous posts in this thread).

It's really not a problem...and it's arguably desirable that it doesn't separate anyway (unless you're deliberately trying to generate recovered oil for subsequent cooking with).

Oh, and welcome to Cr0  :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: February 27, 2009, 08:42 AM »
Hi peeps,
just made the saffron base but the oil has not seperated anyone know why? 

getting the oil to separate at the end of cooking is not easy.
i now take it off before blending. relevant post http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2684.msg23835#msg23835

the "need" depends on how much oil u put in at the start, how much u want to leave in and if u are reclaiming for cooking (ie have put extra in initially).

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: June 21, 2009, 10:08 AM »
i've revisited this base which i've made many many times and sort of feel i've learnt what i know on currying around it. i'd not made it for quite a while now though having worked on the adapted version of the CR02 development base for near on 6 mths.

bottom line - this base does not disappoint.

also it always sticks in mind mind how after tasting real BIR base that this is the closest to it of the bases that i've made from the site.

the yield is brill at 4.5L (15 potions). i actually overflowed my pan at one stage. i will also need to water it down more but that's just to suit my stove which needs a very thin base due to the heat.

i wanted a lot of curry gravy oil this time so used more input oil than i've ever done before (1000ml c/ 500 morm). this base does not disappoint either in being able to reclaim it. i returned 900ml to the bottle before blending. i was surprised that taking so much oil out did not affect the taste as i'd previously anticipated that more spice would have been needed to compensate.

i did use whole spices and fresh coriander which are my norm but not technically as per spec.

i also for the 1st time following alfieb's prompt http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1894.msg30927#msg30927 doubled the garlic. hard to say without a side by side comparison but i too felt it moved the base in the right direction and will adopt as std.

have attached pic of finished base

nearly forgot - reason for revisit - this base uses what i call simple spicing. i felt for some time that this is the best approach. i've wrestled with using curry powder, mix powder and the dreaded garam masala. my mind is now made up simple is best. i don't even need to cook with this base - the taste say's it all.

Offline currypot65

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 06, 2009, 04:45 PM »
Hello everybody,I am new to this site,having just stumbled upon it.
I love curries and making them,however i have never made a gravy before,always made them from scratch? I guess there is another word for this.
So far,to date,i have never been able to make a Curry to restaurant style.Although edible,no where near as good.

For whatever reason i have just made this Saffron Base,so far it looks good,although i'm not sure what im meant to be tasting,it taste kind of blandish.

I'm looking forward to making it into a Madras later,will let uou know how it comes out.

There's so much info on this site,,seems brilliant,glad i stumbled upon it!!

Offline currypot65

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 06, 2009, 04:49 PM »
Sorry,forgot to add,there is no garam masala in this recipe,is this correct?
Also is a base necessary to make a curry?

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 06, 2009, 05:05 PM »
Hi Currypot

Welcome to the forum.

Yes the base is rather bland - similar to a 'spiced' stock.

The SnS Base Gravy June 2008 is my modified version of the Saffron base, which you will find easier to produce. It is a little less bland (more soupish).

A base is not required to cook a curry but it is required if you are trying to replicate the methods used to make BIR type curry.

Regards
SnS  ;)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 06, 2009, 05:08 PM »
....... and no garam masala!

;)

Offline currypot65

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 06, 2009, 05:21 PM »
Thank you SnS,also,,sorry for all the questions,how long can you keep the base in a fridge and can you freeze it? If so,how long would it last for?

©2024 Curry Recipes