Author Topic: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron  (Read 337319 times)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron
« Reply #430 on: July 06, 2009, 05:25 PM »
Yes, you can freeze it.

Separate into portions using old plastic TA dishes.

I would suggest you don't keep it in the fridge for more than 3-4 days - although some members here have admitted to keeping bases in the fridge for 2 weeks  :o

SnS  ;)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 07, 2009, 08:15 AM »
Currypot65,

for defo u don't want or need garam in this base. the beauty of this base is the simple spicing which lets the rest of the ingredients shine through. it should taste like it's almost a curry but not quite there - the last bit of taste being added at cooking stage.

i keep base in the fridge and go on smell when to chuck it out. i generally get 7 days.  certainly freezing is a convenience option but i'm convinced the quality reduce.

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 07, 2009, 09:04 AM »
I go along with Jerry on this. I've kept my base in a fridge for a week and it's been alright. The rest of the base is frozen in individual portions. As for the taste I have not noticed any discernible difference. Will test at some stage, a base that has been frozen, against freshly made and one that has been kept in a fridge for a week.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 08, 2009, 07:04 AM »
qprbob,

results will be interesting.

the observation on the effect of freezing was when i got a portion of real BIR base. i froze most of it in ice cubes and took one cube out whilst i still had the fresh - it did not taste the same. i did not cook with it and don't have freezer capacity for base so i don't know if there is a significant difference in the final dish. the base tasted sort of diluted.

on the fridge storage i've found the base seems to take on a different smell at around 7 days and i chuck it at that point (i think it's happended twice as i tend to set up to cook at least 3 times over the week).

Offline currypot65

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 11, 2009, 10:27 AM »
Well i finished the curry of to become a Prawn Madras,alas it did not taste right to me,there was a kind of sweet taste there(might of been the carrot)a taste i don't recognise with a takeaway.My girlfriend enjoyed it tho,but not me,sorry.
The base looked the same as the pictures shown,however the finished curry did'nt.
That finished madras picture shown was what inspired me to do this recipe,because it looked the real deal,alas i was left with a damp squib!!

I will try again,although ive seen a recipe here that uses 15 cloves of garlic,and many many years ago,an Indian friend of mine told me a similar recipe,so that one sounds very promising.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: July 11, 2009, 02:53 PM »
currypot65,

it's real good experience to try a few different bases and the 15 cloves (admins) does have good review. i've not tried it myself so will be interesting in your comaprison with it and the saffron (i've tried quite a few bases and the saffron still sits in my top 3).

i'm sure the base turned out right so feel it's on technique where u can sort out the over sweet taste. u need to get a branded curry powder and try a few spice mixes too.

have added links to where i started my cooking "learning" and one on technique. this is the area that i've found most difficult.

any help needed - just give us all a shout

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2369.0

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,1454.msg12717.html#msg12717

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1283.0

Offline currypot65

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 11, 2009, 08:48 PM »
Thanks Jerry for your words of encouragement!!
Seems there is soooo much to do in trying to recreate a restaurant curry!
Over the years ive tried so many ways to cook and different flavours and yet still no nearer!!
Maybe we should all stick to just using a Pataks paste!

Or perhaps,maybe we have produced something near to a Bir but it has not registered in own minds.
I mean sometimes i'll make a curry and friends will say how great it is,yet i might hardly touch mine,might be because sometimes when you have been cooking,you sit down to eat and bang,your appetite has just gone even though your hungry!!
sounds crazy i know,but this has happened a few times to me.

Or,when we go to a restaurant,we have paid good money,so an appetite seems to come on stronger even if the food is just standard.

Well i am trying to make excuses for my/our failures,but maybe its just in our minds and not our tastebuds?

I mean,how hard can it be to produce a decent type restaurant curry!!!!!

Seems its easier to find our government secrets than it is to produce an authentic curry!!

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 12, 2009, 11:39 AM »
I mean,how hard can it be to produce a decent type restaurant curry!!!!!

Bloody difficult in my experience. I've been trying for well over twenty years now and I still can't achieve the aroma or taste of the curries I used to have. It makes me envious when people on this forum who have been doing this for five minutes seem to hit it first time!  :'(

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 12, 2009, 12:08 PM »
currypot65,

just take u're time and get it in your mind that things won't go well all the time. ask the members on specifics too.

i've approached it as a jig saw of various pieces and have read up each area on the site and asked if i could not find the answer i was looking for or needed clarification. i believe everything we need is on this site.

i think also it's important to accept as Secret Santa is effectively saying u can't replicate exactly the taste u've had in a restaurant or TA. u can get very close if not better in that u can Tailor the recipe to suit u're own taste buds.

i'd also add that i get inconsistency and expect to do so for quite some time - if u think the BIR chefs are cooking many meals every day and it must become 2nd nature to them.

i think u're good lady or close friend is best to guide on how your curries are progressing - as u say in cooking yourself it makes it harder to make a judgement. what u don't need is polite comment either. i also tend to do side by side comparison  if i'm not sure.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 12, 2009, 01:59 PM »
It makes me envious when people on this forum who have been doing this for five minutes seem to hit it first time!  :'(

:o  It's quite unlike you to be so diplomatic SS!  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes