Author Topic: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron  (Read 336070 times)

Offline Lumpy Gravy

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron
« Reply #480 on: February 17, 2011, 02:32 PM »
Hi guys, I'm a newbie here and would appreciate a little direction. I'm finding excellent comments, advice and tips but I'm having real problems finding actual recipes etc. Please accept my apologies if they're staring me in the face but I'm struggling to find them. Are they perhaps within the threads themselves? Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Cheers  ::)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: February 17, 2011, 03:51 PM »
Lumpy Gravy,

the recipe tends to be on page 1 of the post. any changes tend to be in the detail of the post and a bit hard to spot.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: February 17, 2011, 04:24 PM »
Hi guys, I'm a newbie here and would appreciate a little direction. I'm finding excellent comments, advice and tips but I'm having real problems finding actual recipes etc. Please accept my apologies if they're staring me in the face but I'm struggling to find them. Are they perhaps within the threads themselves? Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Welcome to the forum. As you've posted your question on this thread, presumably you are looking for the recipe for the Saffron Base Gravy. As Jerry has said, it's on page 1 of this thread, which currently extends to 49 pages of discussion, modification  and all the rest of it. Be careful, though. The original (page 1) recipes can often be modified and improved, with or without the OPs agreement in the subsequent pages but the original recipes are only seldom updated to reflect the changes. For example in post 117 (page 12), Secret Santa thinks he may have made the 'wrong' recipe because he failed to build in some modifications. It's a minefield!

As a new moderator, I'll be happy to help improve the situation if I get enough support and agreement. I'll never alter anything off my own back, other than spam. We could start with this thread. Is it necessary or desirable to update the original recipe on page 1?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: February 17, 2011, 04:28 PM »
As a new moderator, I'll be happy to help improve the situation if I get enough support and agreement. I'll never alter anything off my own back, other than spam. We could start with this thread. Is it necessary or desirable to update the original recipe on page 1?
IMHO, no.  But adding a link at the bottom to a revised version would quite possibly beneficial.

** Phil.

Offline artistpaul

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: February 17, 2011, 05:25 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

paul

Offline Lumpy Gravy

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: February 19, 2011, 05:43 AM »
Many thanks for your guidance and warm welcome.

cheers

Offline Davemcurry

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 15, 2011, 03:49 PM »
Hi
Just a quick posting to say that I've had a fantastic result making Chicken Tikka Jalfrezi using this Saffron Base with Ast's Jalfrezi recipe.  Both recipes followed to the letter, only one addition was some garam masala 5 minutes before serving the final thing.

It was unanimously voted thoroughly magnificent by 8 attending dinner guests, and I have to say, I was pretty gobsmacked myself.

Thanks to both SnS and AST...these two recipes make a superb combination!

Also, a superb Saag Aloo, again using the Saffron Base and Russell's BIR Saag Aloo recipe (to the letter, no modification whatsoever!!!)  So thanks also to Russell !!!

Marks out of 10 for BIR-ness...?  I'd give both 10, no question.

It's also probably worth mentioning that by chance, in both cases I used Pride vegetable oil, which gave no problems or horrible tastes/smells, so I can only assume it must have been a bad batch which Mag1973 used earlier in the topic...

Finally, yes I did say Chicken Tikka Jalfrezi...!  I've chanced upon an excellent 'cheating' way of creating thoroughly credible Chicken Tikka, and I'll post my recipe/method in a new post in the appropriate topic.

Cheers

Dave
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 04:55 PM by Davemcurry »

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 15, 2011, 08:05 PM »
It was unanimously voted thoroughly magnificent by 8 attending dinner guests, and I have to say, I was pretty gobsmacked myself.

Nice one Dave! When you cooked for 8, did you make several batches of curry? I always find that only one large portion per pan is possible before the results start to suffer. It's large enough for 2 people though as long as they're not really big eaters.

Offline Davemcurry

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 16, 2011, 03:04 AM »
Interesting point, Bobby...No -  indeed it was actually one quite large batch in a single wok-style frying pan, absolutely full to the brim.  And it was a last minute decision to add the garam masala (East End, by the way...) based on tasting. 

So you could well be right, and I may have only just got away with it...

The saag aloo, on the other hand was a much smaller quantity - perhaps only slightly more than a standard take-away sized portion (it was after all intended only as a side dish), and that didn't require any last minute modification.

As I've still got approx half a gallon (!) of the base sauce left (now frozen) another shot will be in order very soon, this time when we don't have guests coming.

So thanks for the tip!

Cheers

Dave

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 16, 2011, 05:51 PM »
Yeah, definitley try one takeaway portion by itself. I think you'll be surpsrised by the difference! ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes