Author Topic: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron  (Read 336011 times)

Offline currypot65

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron
« Reply #490 on: April 29, 2011, 11:52 AM »
For the original gravy of this dish,do you blend the contents afterwards?
Sorry if this has already been asked.

Sorry,have read it all now :P :P Doh!!

Offline Pickledswede

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: June 06, 2011, 10:30 AM »
I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I read somewhere on this site that the KD base wasn't ideal to make because she suggests boiling the ginger and garlic which gives off a very strong smell. However it seems to be the same in this base? I have read through as much as I can and done a few searches but so far can't find anything about the boiling of garlic and ginger in this recipe? Is it really just chucked in with everything else and boiled or is it fried first?

Cheers

Online Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: June 06, 2011, 10:42 AM »
I am not too familiar with the KD base, but I think you'll find the majority of bases on here boil the garlic and ginger, along with the likes of onion, green pepper, carrots etc.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: June 06, 2011, 11:44 AM »
Is it ]the garlic & ginger] really just chucked in with everything else and boiled or is it fried first?
Yep, all boiled together.  The smell is a matter of taste (if that is not an oxymoron, I don't know what is !) -- I don't mind it at all, others may find it offensive.  Using a pressure cooker will certainly reduce the smell, particularly if you have a hob with very fine heat control such that you can just keep the pressure maintained without any steam escaping.  See KD1/PC for details.

** Phil.

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: June 06, 2011, 08:18 PM »
I'm not really a fan of the boiling method so what I have started doing is putting 350ml of Veg Oil into a large pan then add all the Veg ( inc G/G ) then stir frying it all for about 5 mins then add the Spices and fry for another 5 mins then add the Water and continue with the Boiling process,when frying it gives off a very nice aroma and not so bad when the Water is added,I make 5.5 ltrs at a time.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: June 06, 2011, 08:35 PM »
I'm not really a fan of the boiling method so what I have started doing is putting 350ml of Veg Oil into a large pan then add all the Veg ( inc G/G ) then stir frying it all for about 5 mins
Just as a point of interest, do you peel your ginger ?  I don't, with the boiling method (unless it is very old and gnarly, but I don't normally buy such ginger), but I have the feeling that if you were to fry ginger skin it might go rather hard and unpleasant ...

** Phil.

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: June 07, 2011, 05:31 PM »
I'm not really a fan of the boiling method so what I have started doing is putting 350ml of Veg Oil into a large pan then add all the Veg ( inc G/G ) then stir frying it all for about 5 mins
Just as a point of interest, do you peel your ginger ?  I don't, with the boiling method (unless it is very old and gnarly, but I don't normally buy such ginger), but I have the feeling that if you were to fry ginger skin it might go rather hard and unpleasant ...

** Phil.

Hi Phil, Yes I scrape the skin off the Ginger at the same time as scraping the Carrots then just roughly chop.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: June 07, 2011, 05:52 PM »
Hi Phil, Yes I scrape the skin off the Ginger at the same time as scraping the Carrots then just roughly chop.
OK, then I think that pre-frying in those circumstances would work very well.  I suspect that most BIRs neither have the time nor the inclination to pre-fry, but then neither are they worried about the smell !

** Phil.

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: June 07, 2011, 08:43 PM »
OK, then I think that pre-frying in those circumstances would work very well.  I suspect that most BIRs neither have the time nor the inclination to pre-fry, but then neither are they worried about the smell !
** Phil.

Your probably right Phil but me and the Mrs recently dined at a popular Indian Restaurant and sent our Curries back being flavourless  :o perhaps they should consider a quick fry  ;)

ATB

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: June 07, 2011, 11:22 PM »
Your probably right Phil but me and the Mrs recently dined at a popular Indian Restaurant and sent our Curries back being flavourless  :o perhaps they should consider a quick fry  ;)
No, it's a sad fact of life : the better our own curries become, the less impressed we are with those from otherwise excellent BIRs :(  I have even found my last two t/as from the Taj of Kent to be sadly lacking, which bearing in mind the review I posted when I first visited the place (and it has not changed hands in the meantime) is a very depressing experience ...

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes