Author Topic: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron  (Read 336049 times)

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron
« Reply #510 on: January 12, 2012, 08:09 PM »
Hi CH

I may be wrong but I think he is asking where the listed "Haldi's Takeaway" Spice Mix is used in the actual Vindaloo recipe.

Meaning ast gives the spice mix ingredients in his post, but it doesn't appear to be actually used in his recipe. ???

Martin

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: January 12, 2012, 08:45 PM »
Hi CH

I may be wrong but I think he is asking where the listed "Haldi's Takeaway" Spice Mix is used in the actual Vindaloo recipe.

Meaning ast gives the spice mix ingredients in his post, but it doesn't appear to be actually used in his recipe. ???

Martin
Ah, thanks for the clarification martinvic.  And that's before i have  a couple of beers :o

Offline TheDirector

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: January 12, 2012, 08:55 PM »
Hi CH

Martin

Hi Martin, yeah thats what i meant - the spice mix mentioned does not seem to be mentioned in the actual recipe, which got me confused.  Can anyone clarify this for me??

Ive been on this website about a handful of times over the last few years, but to be honest, I log off after about 5 minutes normally as there is so much info I just do not know where to start.  I did buy the KD book a couple of years ago and tried it twice (first time it was OK. Second was a disaster for some reason. Plus the stench of cooking the base sauce is hideous and the amount of ginger specified seems to massivley overpower everything!).  Only other one I tried was the recipe rick stein got from a bradford restaurant - which was OK but not great (once again, amount of ginger specified seems to be too much!).  I know the taste I am after, like the rest of you, but not sure where to start.

HOWEVER, strangely in recent months I have mastered a chickpea curry, which takes about 30 minutes to cook, yet actually tastes as good as a BIR curry (more or less)!  It has the right oily consistancy, depth of flavour...  I think I have an idea of some of the key things that make it work and got lucky the first time I experimented with the chickpea curry (I used a recipe I found and adapted it).  It makes me wonder whether I could achieve a quality meat BIR dish without a base sauce....  though I guess i risk being shouted down suggesting that!

Anyway, all that aside, I want to learn a good base sauce and so committed myself to read through this thread.  Only a fifth of the way through so far....

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: January 12, 2012, 09:15 PM »
Mr Director

It makes me wonder whether I could achieve a quality meat BIR dish without a base sauce....  though I guess i risk being shouted down suggesting that!

How Very Dare you?

Ray :o

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 12, 2012, 09:25 PM »
Hi Director,

Any chance of posting your chickpea curry recipe please?

Cheers,

Paul

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: January 13, 2012, 01:14 AM »
Can anyone clarify this for me??

Hi there TheDirector

I obviously cannot speak for the original author of the recipe, and for 100% clarification the original author would need to confirm what was meant. But having read the recipe and if I was cooking this myself, I would assume that the 'Haldi Takeway spice Mix and 2 tsp of Extra Hot Chilli Powder are added at the point within the 'Method' that states "...Add the dry spices and stir continuously, making sure not to burn them".

I think this is a fairly safe assumption to make given that 1/ Nearly all finished dishes will include a 'Spice Mix' containing the spices in the Haldi Mix and that 2/ the author makes a specific reference to the type of Madras Curry Powder used in the recipe note.

Give it a twirl and see how it works out for you, it looks like a good recipe.

Offline jh269789

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 29, 2012, 06:45 PM »
This recipe should come with a large warning to all newbee's like myself, when its says a large pot, double what you think! Just joined and am at this moment having a whirl on this gravy mix, towards the end and very impressed so far, BUT, my wife thinks I may be starting my own takaway service with the amount of gravy this makes!lol :D

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: April 29, 2012, 08:18 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D Don't worry jh, you'll soon work your way through it making very tasty curries.  SWMBO will soon stop moaning when she starts tucking into those BIR meals ;)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 30, 2012, 07:40 PM »
i've just switch to using infindforu's base (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=7621.0).

it's produces even more yield - it made 20 off portions and i've had to keep it un thinned down to the volume in the fridge and the need to use the pans for other cooking.

Offline OcTwenty

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: July 18, 2012, 10:03 PM »
Hi lads.  Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, being a newbie here im wondering, if this base is suitable for BIR style chicken Korma? cheers in advance.

©2024 Curry Recipes