Author Topic: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron  (Read 336089 times)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron
« Reply #520 on: July 18, 2012, 10:14 PM »
Have never made this base but having read the thread at least twice, from the comments  it is a very versatile base and you should have no problems using this with any of the korma recipes on the site to achieve a good result.  Welcome and good luck.  Keep us posted on the results.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: March 26, 2013, 04:44 PM »
This base seems to have gone missing from the spotlight for a while and judging by the colour, I would imagine it is closer to what I am looking after (looks can be deceiving, however.)

I'm looking forward to give it a try tonight, I'm currently looking at the recipe which I believe is the most recent (page 24, reply #233) and I have some questions:

1. In the ingredients list, it is mentioned "2 medium tomatoes" but in the method, it is suggested "Half a tin (200 g) of chopped plum tomatoes (Italian Napolina)" do we need both the 2 tomatos and the chopped plum tomatoes?

2. The deghi mirch is the powdered form correct? If so my understanding is that it is a bit hotter than the kashmiri mirch (correct me if wrong) -- is this a spicy/hot base?

3. What do you mean by "Removing any scum"? I only heard of scum in the context of scumbags, sorry :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 26, 2013, 05:21 PM »
1. In the ingredients list, it is mentioned "2 medium tomatoes" but in the method, it is suggested "Half a tin (200 g) of chopped plum tomatoes (Italian Napolina)" do we need both the 2 tomatos and the chopped plum tomatoes?

Pass.

2. The deghi mirch is the powdered form correct? If so my understanding is that it is a bit hotter than the kashmiri mirch (correct me if wrong) -- is this a spicy/hot base?

Correct on both counts.

3. What do you mean by "Removing any scum"? I only heard of scum in the context of scumbags, sorry :)

"Scum" is the detritus that accumulates on the surface of the base; it consists of a mixture of liquid, solid and gaseous matter, all of which cling to each other so that the scum becomes a semi-solid; it can be carefully manipulated with a spoon and then lifted clear of the surface. 

** Phil.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Gravy from vist to Saffron
« Reply #523 on: March 26, 2013, 07:24 PM »
It's obviously totally genuine and you can make whatever constructive criticism about it
You can also be sure,the restaurant the curry base comes from, will still be using this recipe in two months time

Perhaps this base is ace. Or perhaps it's not. I don't know because I haven't tried it.

I don't see how anyone can say it's totally genuine, though. That idea was killed off for me when sns said they tipped all the base he made into a pot and he took it home. I'd have been far more convinced if they proceeded to ladle it out for curries being served to customers a few minutes later. What a lost opportunity.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 27, 2013, 12:07 AM »

Pass.

Correct on both counts.

"Scum" is the detritus that accumulates on the surface of the base; it consists of a mixture of liquid, solid and gaseous matter, all of which cling to each other so that the scum becomes a semi-solid; it can be carefully manipulated with a spoon and then lifted clear of the surface. 

Thanks Phil, as I saw this on the phone on my way home, I ended up forgetting to acknowledge it. From looking at a few pictures, if I got it right, I may have seen while precooking chicken, but never while cooking a base

Goncalo

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: March 29, 2013, 12:26 PM »
This recipe calls for sweet paprika or alternatively deggi mirch. It's a bit strange that the option is either sweet/non-hot or hot -- any thoughts before I go ahead and do this one today, seeing as KD1 requires a few bits that I'm in short supply of :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 29, 2013, 01:10 PM »
This recipe calls for sweet paprika or alternatively deggi mirch. It's a bit strange that the option is either sweet/non-hot or hot -- any thoughts before I go ahead and do this one today, seeing as KD1 requires a few bits that I'm in short supply of :)

Very odd indeed.  Version 1 says "25 ml paprika (deghi mirch)", version 2 says "25 ml sweet paprika (or deghi mirch)".  My /suspicion/ is that paprika was used, but that the author erroneously believed that deggi mirch was the same thing.  But I might be wrong : it would not be the first time !

Incidentally, KD1 base is about as simple as you can get : what are these "few bits" that you lack ?

** Phil.

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 29, 2013, 01:58 PM »
This recipe calls for sweet paprika or alternatively deggi mirch. It's a bit strange that the option is either sweet/non-hot or hot...

They are to all intents and purposes the same thing. Certainly the Capiscums and Chilli Pepper varieties they use are different, but do they impart an essentially different flavour or are they there predominantly for colouring?

I've used both and I struggle to taste the difference between them when used in a base sauce.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 29, 2013, 02:04 PM »

Very odd indeed.  Version 1 says "25 ml paprika (deghi mirch)", version 2 says "25 ml sweet paprika (or deghi mirch)".  My /suspicion/ is that paprika was used, but that the author erroneously believed that deggi mirch was the same thing.  But I might be wrong : it would not be the first time !

Incidentally, KD1 base is about as simple as you can get : what are these "few bits" that you lack ?

** Phil.

Indeed, sounds like it Phil. I've sourced sweet paprika in a small flask from lidl that says "paprika sweet" (I assume it's the same, though, oh well if it's not.) -- if you were to do this recipe, would you choose to use deggi mirch then?

Green Ginger and patience for all the different stages (though it might be simple, but if you consider my agenda today:

* plain basmati rice,
* plenty of g&g (tired of using the one from Al Noor and Shan)
* a new base
* banjarra (never done it, but I would like to experiment with it)
* precook chicken
* be ready to start cooking a kashmiri korma for me and the missus (her birthday was 2 days ago)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 29, 2013, 02:06 PM »
This recipe calls for sweet paprika or alternatively deggi mirch. It's a bit strange that the option is either sweet/non-hot or hot...

They are to all intents and purposes the same thing. Certainly the Capiscums and Chilli Pepper varieties they use are different, but do they impart an essentially different flavour or are they there predominantly for colouring?

I've used both and I struggle to taste the difference between them when used in a base sauce.

Thanks for clarifying spicy. In that case, I'd be more keen on using deggi mirch, but I'd be a tiny bit afraid that the spiciness it may add to the base may taint the milder/sweeter dishes like kormas, CTMs and passandas, which is pretty much what my girlfriend eats :)

©2024 Curry Recipes