Author Topic: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron  (Read 336041 times)

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron
« Reply #550 on: March 29, 2013, 07:29 PM »
No, I trust them because they are professional Indian spice suppliers who have been in business for almost 100 years.

I used to, too before I read about Ian Hemphill's experiences in the Spice industry.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: March 29, 2013, 10:07 PM »
How so when you haven't got the slightest clue what is even in that box, apart from the fact is says 'Deggi Mirch' on the packet? I've already told you, MDH don't even list the ingredients or what Chilli varieties have been used. It just says Red Chilli Powder - it could be anything.

Whilst it's true that none of us know the formulation of Deggi Mirch, I bet it's more consistent and reliable than anything you make, even if it's not as good in your opinion. Deggi Mirch is a known reference point, and useful because of it. How many BIRs mix and grind their own chilli powders like you do? I've never heard of any. It's far more likely they use packets of chilli powder, so it seems quite valid for us to do the same.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: March 29, 2013, 10:24 PM »
Due to some delays, the base is finally on the stove. I didn't have salad potatoes, so I used a single new potato that weighted 205g peeled. I used the `paprika sweet` from lidl as well, seeing as I've never used the MDH Deggi Mirch and the other paprika I have is from heera and the package makes no distinctions.

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: March 29, 2013, 11:47 PM »
It's far more likely they use packets of chilli powder, so it seems quite valid for us to do the same.

The don't use MDH Deggi Mirch either George!

I've said it before on here and I'll say it again. I don't copy what BIR's do, because what they do is mostly out of expediency and cheapness. I don't have the same cost constraints as they do and I like to know exactly what's going in my food.

If you want to copy them and use cheapo bags of chilli powder, that's your choice and prerogative.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: March 30, 2013, 01:58 AM »

Is this what you refer to as scum? (the darker part that seems like a skin patch)

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: March 30, 2013, 06:51 AM »
As far as I can tell, there's a little bit of scum in the middle of the pan. You should see it start rising up as the base heats another word to describe it would be froth.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: March 30, 2013, 08:56 AM »
goncalo,

no it's not wall i call scum. i don't know what it is but i get it too if i leave the oil on top to cool. i just stir this film back in.

scum is what fried refers to ie froth

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: March 30, 2013, 10:25 AM »
Ah, thanks Fried and JerryM. In that case I'll stir everything in. I am pretty sure this happened with all other bases and I never given much attention to it. I used to think the dark bits to be oil, but on closer lookup they look like film to me. :)

Goncalo

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 30, 2013, 11:06 AM »
I don't copy what BIR's do, because what they do is mostly out of expediency and cheapness...If you want to copy them and use cheapo bags of chilli powder, that's your choice and prerogative.

You're on the wrong forum pal.  ;)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: March 30, 2013, 12:35 PM »
I don't copy what BIR's do, because what they do is mostly out of expediency and cheapness...If you want to copy them and use cheapo bags of chilli powder, that's your choice and prerogative.

You're on the wrong forum pal.  ;)

No 2 BIRs would use the same ingredients, spices or do things in the same manner, so I'm not sure there is any point going through that route of "you cannot stray from the known standards". Heck, look around this forum. Nearly every recipe obtained here that gets to be tried is customized to a certain extent. Rare is the case the recipes are cooked to the letter and reported as such.

©2024 Curry Recipes