Author Topic: Hi everyone  (Read 6589 times)

Offline nutty

• Chef
    • View Profile
Hi everyone
« on: January 15, 2008, 02:38 PM »
Hi
I joined this forum ages ago but lost the link anyways, I love resturant curries they are so YUMMY there is no words to describe the taste.  I got a book by Kris Dhillion so can't wait to try that.  Broswed through this forum before commenting there are so many bases to choose from, how do I choose which base to use. 

Offline extrahotchillie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Hi everyone
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 04:00 PM »
Welcome back this one seems to be all the rave at the moment

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2271.0.html

Enjoy

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 05:39 PM »
Alright mate! ;D

Offline Jethro

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 05:58 PM »
Welcome to the forum :)

Offline mike travis

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 08:10 PM »
Hi nutty,  ;) welcome to cr0. Look forward to hearing from you soon..  ;D

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 08:26 PM »
how do I choose which base to use. 

It's a darn good question! The one that's been recommended was the worst one I've ever made, but then again it's been modified somewhat since then. I think the real answer is    that it's the one that gets you closest to your idea of a BIR curry. And I'm afraid there's no shortcut for that goal, you just have to pick one and work with it. If it meets your needs great, if not try try again.

However the base is just one component of the final curry, it's the extra spices added, the way they are added, the oil used, the heat levels used throughout, the brand or variety of tomato paste/passata/puree used etc. etc.

Confused? Join the club :)

Offline stevindaloo

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 09:07 PM »
hello nutty
welcome
i just joined before you and bought the same book
i made the sauce out of the book becuse it seemed very easy, it is.
i made the cicken vindaloo from the book as well, it's my first curry i have made in this way and what a difference in taste it is.
some people on this site do rate this sauce but as the sauce recipie is big enough to make 6 to 8 curries ( i froze the remainder in severel cartons) i am going to use it to make some of the curries on this site.
i would definately recommend doing the vindaloo from the book first you wont be dissapointed and it will be good to compare that to the recipies on here

let us know what it turns out like

good luck

Offline ast

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 03:26 PM »
Hi Nutty,

I started trying to make curries with the KD book as well.  I think if you're new to the process (as I was), it's a great place to learn about how BIR-style food is made.  However, having used a few of the recipes in the book before finding this forum, I can say that so far I've found information here that's not even alluded to in the book about how to make better curries such as better ways for pre-cooking meat and preparing the final curry.

I'm sure you'll get a lot out of this forum if you're willing to dig a little and experiment a lot.  Most everyone here also seems pretty friendly and eager to help achieve the collective goal of making the perfect BIR curry at home.

As far as bases go, I've had good luck with the KD base from the book, but the cooking process as-is can sure stink up the house.  I'd follow some of the suggestions here about not boiling the garlic with the onions unless you have a way to close off your kitchen and it has lots of windows! :)

I've only tried one base from here (the one that extrahotchillie mentioned), and I've been having good luck with it so far (once I followed the directions for making the curry properly).  It isn't much more effort than the KD base, and it's sure a more pleasant house guest while it's cooking! :D

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Cheers,

ast

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 04:29 PM »
Hi Nutty,

Welcome to the forum.
This thread will help you http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,1848.0.html

Stew

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 06:27 PM »
It's a darn good question! The one that's been recommended was the worst one I've ever made, but then again it's been modified somewhat since then.

Question is SS, as the recipe has now been modified (corrected), are you now going to try it again, as I really think your comments may turn many newbies away from what is (now) essentially a sound base gravy? ???

Regards

SnS  ;D

ps: Welcome back to the forum Nutty!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 07:43 PM by smokenspices »

©2024 Curry Recipes