Author Topic: Hi everyone  (Read 6627 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Hi everyone
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 11:44 AM »
Hi Smokenspices,

I might try it again but it won't be or a while as there are other bases I want to try first. As for putting newbies off trying the base, I made the base exactly to recipe (minus one carrot as I didn't have one) and I stand by my report, it was not a very pleasant base. Further the curry as per the recipe was genuinely one of the worst I have ever made. I'm pretty sure now that this is mostly down to it using too much cumin, which is why it reminded me of a jar of Pataks curry sauce.

Now if you look at most of the reports that say it's fab, you'll see that they have not kept to the recipe, adding thing like garlic and ginger which were not specified in your recipe and not using the deggi mirch. But of course these comments are based on the base as originally published so it'll have to wait until I get around to trying it again.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 11:56 AM by Secret Santa »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 12:08 PM »
Hi Nuttt and welcome to cr0  8)

I suggest that you also look this thread: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2203.0.html

The more recent curry base, which has had almost entirely favourable reviews (apart from that from Secret Santa who appears to have made some changes to the recipe) is the one suggested earlier in this thread http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2271.0.html

I haven't personally tried it yet but will do very soon.

Ultimately, there are many good curry base recipes here.  Look at the reviews they have received, pick one, and try it.  You'd probably be delighted with most of them  8)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 12:39 PM »
apart from that from Secret Santa who appears to have made some changes to the recipe

What? It was everyone else who made changes! Apart from not adding a carrot into the base because I didn't have one, I kept to the base and madras recipes exactly.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 12:48 PM »
Well, you've really got to wonder, SS, when everyone else is saying it's great, why you are saying the total opposite?

I haven't tried it yet, so I'm not really in a position to comment, but I will try it very soon.  Maybe you're right.  If so, I'll say so too  :P

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 01:59 PM »
apart from that from Secret Santa who appears to have made some changes to the recipe

What? It was everyone else who made changes! Apart from not adding a carrot into the base because I didn't have one, I kept to the base and madras recipes exactly.

Hi Secret Santa

I'm just wondering here .... did you use the reclaimed oil from the gravy for cooking the onions and spices in the Madras (as you mentioned to someone earlier)?  If so, do you think it could be the source of the sourness you experienced?"  ;)  Only a thought !

Regards

SnS ;D
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 04:55 PM by smokenspices »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 06:17 PM »
did you use the reclaimed oil from the gravy for cooking the onions and spices in the Madras

What reclaimed oil? As I mentioned in my first post there was no separation of the oil at all (one more reason I didn't like the base) so I had to use fresh oil but yes, I would normally use reclaimed oil as it produces a superior flavour.

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 06:40 PM »
did you use the reclaimed oil from the gravy for cooking the onions and spices in the Madras

What reclaimed oil? As I mentioned in my first post there was no separation of the oil at all (one more reason I didn't like the base) so I had to use fresh oil but yes, I would normally use reclaimed oil as it produces a superior flavour.

I have just made the base and the sauce and oil have separated, has anyone spooned out the oil or do I just leave it in?

Smells great in the house at the moment  :D

Need a quick reply as spices and chicken at the ready!!!!! :o

SLIPPERZ  ;D

has anyone spooned out the oil or do I just leave it in?
SLIPPERZ  ;D

You spoon it out and use it to make the finished curry with. I'm intrigued as to how you got it to separate though. There's no way if you keep to the suggested cooking times that you could get the oil to separate from the base.

Hi SS

It's just that you recommended to "slipperz" spooning the oil out to use in the curry, so I assumed you'd done that as well.

It's is strange that you never had any oil separation - at all. I don't recall anyone else having that problem. Only thing I can think of is that there wasn't enough water in the gravy ... caused by evaporation while simmering (uncovered pot) at the intial 40 minute stage or not adding enough water at the various stages.

Anyway, we're actually discussing this on the wrong thread so I won't say anymore except I do hope you will try the (corrected) recipe again soon (the gravy only). I'm sure you'll eventually agree that it ain't that bad  ;)

Regards

Sns  ;D

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 09:45 AM »
Anyway, we're actually discussing this on the wrong thread so I won't say anymore

I agree with that SnS. 

This is a really good debate, on the qualities of your specific curry base, that really ought to be captured in the correct place (i.e. here http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2271.0.html)

It will only get lost in the mist here and poor old Nutty is probably wondering what the hell's going on!  He only asked a simply question!  :P  ;D

Stick with it Nutty, I'm sure the answer to your question is in there somewhere!  ;)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2008, 11:01 AM »
Stick with it Nutty, I'm sure the answer to your question is in there somewhere!  ;)

Hmmmm, now if only I could remember the question.  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes