Author Topic: 3 Youtube influenced curries  (Read 2299 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
3 Youtube influenced curries
« on: July 19, 2021, 12:33 AM »
Here are 3 curries I made last night using Chef Faz's Base Gravy, Chef Din's pre-cooked chicken and some basic service onions.

Butter Chicken (commercial paste used for this one  :sad: )
Balti Chicken (homemade Balti paste, homegrown capsicum and green chilli)
Kashmiri Chicken (homemade Basaar masala and homegrown Rajah red chilli)

I'm not a food blog photographer.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: 3 Youtube influenced curries
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 08:02 PM »
Nice!  I am looking forward to trying Chef Din's base with his own Madras and with Chewy's recipe.  Also, must check back where, but saw a youtube recently where both tomato paste and plum tomato were used for a Madras.  Wondering why I didn't think of this myself.  Years back, the Banu restaurant in Birmingham, although fairly run of the mill, imo, did their Madras loaded with tomato flavour.  A fairly thin consistency finish, but it was very tasty.

Rob :)   

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 08:47 PM »
Several recent base gravies I've tried, and Din's, which I haven't yet, have been very rich compared to the previous versions. I've tried chefs Abdul, Faz and Rik and all of these are outside the usual description of being mild to bland. They contain flavour, spice and distinct character.  I've found that in using these richer bases I'm no longer feeling that I'm only at 95%.

There's pros and cons for both but I'm really enjoying the full restaurant curry impact of these stronger bases.  I think they'll be too much for the milder dishes but I'll give the Mango Chicken a run with some Faz base to try it out.

I'm also looking forward to trying Din's base and a few of his dishes.  Part of the reason I only cook scaled down bases is so I don't get stuck with a huge amount of one. There are too many to try.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 11:46 AM »
Several recent base gravies I've tried, and Din's, which I haven't yet, have been very rich compared to the previous versions. I've tried chefs Abdul, Faz and Rik and all of these are outside the usual description of being mild to bland. They contain flavour, spice and distinct character. 

Are they on here, Livo? I admit, I haven't done a bass for ages, so something a bit different would be a good way of getting back into it. Especially if the richness results in more authentic curries!

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 12:26 PM »
All on Youtube. Simple search for Chef Faz or Chef Din or Rik (Loveitspicy) is Backyard Chef.  I'm looking forward to trying Chef Din but I have to say the Faz base is really good and I liked Rik's base (the ketchup one) as well.  The other one I've made recently is by Abdul Salam and for his base he just blends up all the whole spices.  All of these are very well spiced and flavoursome bases.

Give the Faz base a try with the fried garlic at the end. You won't be disappointed.  It's what I'm using presently and I really like it.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 01:04 PM »
this one? Yeah, it looks good-and he seems surprised at the idea of a base being thin or soup-like, but that how so many others are...

I'm going to check out his restaurant vid for 500 portions while I'm at it. "Oh look at the size of your blender zirr!"  :Clown:

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 04:27 PM »
I am also using the Faz base at the moment just giving some of his dishes a go, i like how the precooked stuff also adds that extra flavour too, onions, vegetables, tomato puree, etc, even though this was tried and tested on here a few years a go, cooking out the tom puree with oil, spices and tandoori masala powder.
Really liking Faz stuff at the moment.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 09:43 PM »
That's the one Onions.  Chef Din's pre-cooked chicken is a great method and I think it played a big part in the end result.  I also used pre-cooked onion with a small amount of capsicum.

I'm really enjoying Faz as well Unclefrank.  It has opened my eyes to a few things. Simple things that take a little extra time but are well worth the trouble.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 11:38 PM by livo »

©2024 Curry Recipes