Author Topic: Marinading  (Read 2828 times)

Offline chef1707

• Chef
    • View Profile
Marinading
« on: January 25, 2008, 06:32 PM »
Hi,
I'm a great fan of this site and have made quite a few curries...

am curious of opinions of whether to marinade defore adding to recipes

ive followed sauces and added chicken but sometimes i think BIR must marinade instead of just adding raw chicken to cook...

Does anyone marinade chicken before adding to sauces and if so in what?

regards

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Marinading
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 06:49 PM »
Hi Chef1707,

I always precook chicken and never add it to a curry raw but tend to only marinade it for tikka or tandoori.

Offline ast

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 10:20 PM »
Hi Chef1707,

I've tried both of Curry King's methods for pre-cooking chicken (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,1232.msg10662.html#msg10662) and lamb (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,1915.0.html), and I have to say they were fantastic.  I had previously used the KD methods from her book, but CK's approach wins hands down.

I'm a bit lazy when I make the final curry, and I don't normally do anything but let the meat get to room temperature if it's from the fridge before using in making the final curry dish.  Adding it just after adding the base ensures that it will be warmed through by the time the curry's finished, and it is certainly much faster and more consistent than trying to cook it before the main part of the curry.

It really works the treat, and I think you'll have good luck with it yourself.

Hope this helps,

ast

Offline vindalooney

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 09:27 AM »
I find marinading chicken the day before does make a difference, i found if you add a few slits into the chicken, the marinade does soak into the chicken more and make it extra tasty. :)
(sounds silly to say but dont to forget to refrigerate  ;))

Offline rallim

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 11:35 PM »
I got to know the owner of an Indian restaurant I used to frequent, they would buy in fresh whole chickens and the kitchen staff would clean and prepare them. They would then marinate the chicken in spices before freezing them. I managed to get a bag of the marinated frozen chickens and what a difference it made to the taste of a basic curry. I tried to find out what spices they used but all he would say is "this and that with some chili powder"  ??? But yes it does make a difference.

Offline chef1707

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 07:00 PM »
Hi guys,

many thanks for the replys...think i'll try marinading and experimenting with spices..
regards

©2024 Curry Recipes