Author Topic: the real base sauce taught by Indian chef  (Read 45385 times)

Offline ronnoc

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: the real base sauce taught by Indian chef
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 01:33 PM »
hi cory. didn't think you were being difficult. i know 1st hand how it feels to do a batch of curry and it be wasted. however i am aware that some on this site have got into difficulties feeling people are leading them a song and dance. i ain't got the time and not bored enouch. i have been on this forum for a while now and have seldom been heard. i have seen people chaced when i knew fine well they were on the right track as i was also getting lessons at 1st hand and knew it was no fluke they were stating some of the ingredients that the chef was telling me. i made some of those batches in the hope they had the bits that the chef hadn't told me yet.
my 1st encounters with him i was just told matter of factly what was in the base. i was envited down at 4 0 clock to watch as it takes a couple of hours-ish to make. on some occassions i to leave as i didn't have the time so ingredients and amounts have been a slow process. but in a nut shell the base is as is. and tastes as good a curry house as any i have tried so they all must be doing similar. i need no other base sauce just to perfect my finished dishes

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 01:57 PM »
i was envited down at 4 0 clock to watch as it takes a couple of hours-ish to make. on some occassions i to leave as i didn't have the time so ingredients and amounts have been a slow process. but in a nut shell the base is as is.
This is ever so interesting
Do you have the full base recipe too?

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 02:18 PM »
I think what he is saying Haldi is that this is the full base recipe but he has had to pick it up piece by piece each time he has been there, unless I'm completely wrong   :-[

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 02:36 PM »
Yes, CK, I think you're right.  That's how I understand it too

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 07:43 PM »
However, several people unfortunately tried the recipe before the error was spotted

I assume you're using the lesser known singular version of the word "several" there CA? :)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 11:15 PM »
No, I don't think you were alone SS?  The others seemed to still actually find it ok though?  Curious?

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 10:55 AM »
this is the base sauce tought to me by indian chef.
i have been discussing this with cory as to the correct quantity of onions as the chef just filled his pot to the top with in his words about 12 and a half kilo of onions.
I think the full quantity uses more onions

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 11:26 AM »
I think the full quantity uses more onions

Yes, sorry, you're right Haldi.  As I understand it, Ronnoc estimates the "full quantity" to be about 12kg of onions (this is what the chef estimated it to be) in about a 36 litre pot.  He estimated the other quantities, from his observations, and this is his estimated scaled-down version from that.

Hope that makes sense!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 11:59 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline ronnoc

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2008, 01:00 PM »
being sure no one wants to make a risky 36 liter version. myself included. i have researched so much on everyones behalf. looked up stock pot sizes and got out a tape to test with my memory of hight and width. 30 litre was about same height but not as wide as his, but 36 litre looked just right. i also feel sure he mentioned to me it was 35 litre at some point but i was trying to cram as much in my memory as pos. but the batch is it in a nut shell. i have seen him make it from start to finish and sell me a portion and continue to make varied dishes in front of my very eyes.
the dish is not something you would enyoy on it's own but indeed a curry gravy. mildly flavoured and no spice whatever.
there are a few other batches on this site which i feel sure are correct also and will give similar results. but any that tells you to put chilli and massive amounts of tomatoes and puree and all sorts of spices. and massive amounts of garlic/ginger. don't even go there. i have used too much of all of these and ruined my dishes.
he also makes his own batch of tomatoe sauce. with tomatoe puree and various things. he can then from the mild base above create with the addition of dif spices and other ingredients a varied amount of dishes.
regarding my batch though. if anyone wants to check out my maths feel free.
his batch is.
12.5 kilo of onions
1 x cabbage (aprox 1kg
1 full bunch of cellery. mine weighed aprox 500grams
1kg bag of carrots
3 peppers
half a large catering tin of tomatoes
about half chef spoon of salt
3 chefs spoons of curry powder
half chefs spoon of garam masala
two chefs spoons of garlic ginger
about 2 pints of oil.
get out your calcs and scales and away you go.
i scaled mine down to a 1.2kg batch of onions

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2008, 01:58 PM »
he also makes his own batch of tomatoe sauce.

That sounds like what they call a masala. Do you have a recipe for that, I'd be interested to see it if you do.

©2024 Curry Recipes