Author Topic: Curry Gravy from CurryQueen  (Read 14874 times)

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Curry Gravy from CurryQueen
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2008, 04:38 PM »
Hi CA
         I never seen at any place the curry gravy simmering away, so it's ready for adding to curries
I have seen it boiled to separate out the oil loads of times, but once this is done, it's been turned off for use
The temperature in the kitchens is really warm and rings are alight next to the pot so that keeps it a bit warm, I guess
I've been in the kitchens on a very quiet summer evening, and even the tandoor was off
They could still produce curries , I was their only customer
Maybe some places do keep the curry gravy constantly warm, but I haven't seen it
I think it might get a bit thick
I remember reading in one of Pat Chapman's books about this golden pot simmering away (favourite restaurants)
Maybe that's where the idea comes from

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2008, 07:33 PM »
Perhaps this is why some restaurants cook at a fierce high heat? If they're using warm or cool base they would need to do this. On the other hand there have been reports from people who say a high heat is not used at any time to cook the curry so, perhaps these ones constantly simmer their base.

CA, your belief that the base sauce is left to simmer, separate and darken would almost certainly mean a different flavour at the start to that at the end of the pot. That would seem to suggest that they wouldn't continue to simmer all night, unless they know how to compensate for the change throughout the night.

I can envisage both methods being used in different BIRs.

Offline ronnoc

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2008, 08:12 PM »
But he can hardly use all 36 litres of it straight away can he Ronnoc! 

Or do they keep in simmering (heated) all night?  That's what I believe they do...whereupon the oil WILL separate and it WILL darken

yes cory i understood the question quite clearly. :o

he uses it as soon as is finished making. i have seen it put in curry's hot and seen it put in them cold. most of it will be used before it cools. and another one made before it runs out. i have seen the sauce in an allmost finished pot as yellow as it started so where the oil seperation and the darkening comes from and what this has to do with the final taste of a bir curry i don't know.
and as for the pot left to simmer all night long while the chef finaly goes home to his wife and kids would be a bit of a fire hazzard would it not. :-\
i am sure it may be reboiled here and there as i have seen it come to boil from cold in no time at all.
but if you care what i think then i shall ask him for you.
but there is only one way for you to finally crack the BIR taste. make the ronnoc base D
ronnoc

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2008, 10:12 PM »
yes cory i understood the question quite clearly. :o

he uses it as soon as is finished making

Grrrrrrr!  ;)

36 litres is enough for about 180 curries Ronnoc!  :o

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2008, 10:24 PM »
Hi Ronnoc

Have you tried using the Quote button when making a reply. It's the button (marked QUOTE) to the right of the head of each post (opposite the name of the person making the post).

When you click this button the "Post Reply" window also comes up, but the text you want "quoting" is shown between "quote" coded instructions like this:-

"quote author=ronnoc link=topic=2358.msg20648#msg20648 date=1202415126]"

Quoted text content is shown between the two codes - here

"[/quote]"

Your text goes here as you've been doing

If you want to remove some of the quoted text, delete it as you would with any other text editor, but don't delete any of the two quote codes.

If you now click the "Preview" button (marked "Preview" between the "Post" and "Spell Check" buttons), you get a preview of you post in a preview window which now appears above the post window. Quoted text is now shown in a blue box like this:-

Quoted text appears in here

Your text goes here as you've been doing

You can preview as many times as you like before finally posting.

If you like the preview, then click on "Spell Check". This will open another box which highlights spelling mistakes and typing errors. You may need to use the scroll bar to bring the options buttons into view. Mistakes can now can be "ignored" or "changed" as you wish.

When the spell check is complete, it says "Spell Check Complete". Click "OK"

Now you can click on "Post" which then sends your carefully composed posting down the tubes to Stew who, if he likes it, then despatches it quickly to every member's computer screen. This may take a little while depending on weather, density of traffic coming the other way and of course the distance between Stew's house and your's.

Regards

SnS  ;D
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 12:08 AM by smokenspices »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2008, 11:06 PM »
Maybe some places do keep the curry gravy constantly warm, but I haven't seen it

They certainly seem to keep it heated for use here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2058.msg17448.html#msg17448

Offline ronnoc

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2008, 11:22 PM »
Hi Ronnoc

Have you tried using the Quote button when making a reply. It's the button (marked QUOTE) to the right of the head of each post (opposite the name of the person making the post).

hope this is right. thanks for the help
ronnoc

Offline ronnoc

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2008, 11:23 PM »
well almost
ronnoc

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2008, 11:48 PM »
well almost
ronnoc

Amost.

Enter your text AFTER the last /Quote AND use preview BEFORE posting.

SnS  ;D
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 12:22 AM by smokenspices »

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2008, 09:26 AM »
They certainly seem to keep it heated for use here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2058.msg17448.html#msg17448

They do after about three minutes in, it's steaming isn't it?
I think it's off before that though
Perhaps they just warm it up if it's getting a bit cold
I will pay close attention next time I'm in the kitchens

©2024 Curry Recipes