Author Topic: Curry Gravy from CurryQueen  (Read 14875 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Curry Gravy from CurryQueen
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2008, 09:39 AM »
The gas seems to be on all the time, Haldi, even when they are removing some to add to a curry?

I'm sure you can appreciate the significance of this question though? 

As SS says, if they leave the heat on, the character of the base will change over time.....and if they leave the heat off, the character of the base will change over time....or will it (maybe it's the main dish that varies, more so, in this case?)?  :-\

I guess, with other types of cooking, the stock is added to the main dish cold isn't it?

Sorry, going off-topic here...but an interesting issue....
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 09:49 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2008, 07:11 PM »
Hi all,  As far as I'm concerned I have never reheated the gravy before use and it has never affected the end result.  When I went for a demo at the Bengali in Brick Lane I am quite convinced that the pot of gravy was not on reheating at the time. I think probably some restaurants may use this technique if and when they get busy to enhance production of dishes to customers and for this purpose only.

Haldi, Was the gravy on a simmer when you went for your demo at the Bengali?

Oh, and by the way, when is someone going to try out my pathia?  You won't be disappointed I can assure you.  CQ

Offline ast

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2008, 12:11 AM »
Hi CA,

I know I'm still sorta new at this stuff, but except for the time I re-boiled the Saffron base to see if that would help it after freezing, I didn't worry too much about the temperature of the base.  I'm sure, as Bobby says, it reduces the overall temperature of the pan (I did try to ensure it had been out of the fridge for a few min), but I haven't noticed any particularly ill effects to the end-result curries from adding it cold to cool.  Was mainly driven by lack of stove space and laziness on my part more than anything else.

Cheers,

ast

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2008, 12:54 AM »
Hi all,  As far as I'm concerned I have never reheated the gravy before use and it has never affected the end result

...but if you've never reheated it, CQ, how can you be so sure?  ;)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2008, 02:39 AM »
Oh, and by the way, when is someone going to try out my pathia?  You won't be disappointed I can assure you.  CQ

Hi CQ,

I couldn't find this in the main dish recipe section?  Is it buried withing another thread?  Can you maybe post it in the recipe section?  Otherwise, please let me know where to find it and I will post it there on your behalf  8)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2008, 02:52 AM »
Hi CQ,

Found your Patia recipe and moved moved it to the recipe section here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2405.0.html

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2008, 08:46 AM »
Haldi, Was the gravy on a simmer when you went for your demo at the Bengali?

Hi CQ
      I think the main curry gravy pot was off, but if it had just been made, it would keep it's heat for hours.
The prawn rhogan josh I actually saw cooked, was using the freshly made curry base, which was also part of the demo

As for the pathia, I can't make it this weekend
It's someone's birthday, and they have decided on a family takeaway pizza
But I shall make it next weekend

Offline rallim

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2008, 10:52 AM »

Hi Curryqueen

would also like to try your patia dish but cant find it??? My wife and daughter loves this dish from Scotland but it's not on the menu in Oz. Made a dish that tasted like it (according to my wife) using tomato sauce, lemon juice, sugar and blended mixed fruit for taste that a chef I spoke to put in. Haven't been able to create it again as I didn't write it down...more fool me thought I would remember ha ha... :(

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2008, 02:27 PM »
Hi CA, I have never reheated the gravy in over 20 years and have had no quibbles with regard to the end dish.  I can't see how it is going to make any difference at all, only to those in restaurant kitchens who have a large turnover.  Thanks for posting my pathia in the correct thread CA.  CQ

Hi Haldi, I hope you do try this dish as it is superb.  Let me know how you get on.  CQ

Hi Rallim,  As you can see now CA has posted it in the recipe section, so, you can go ahead a try it.  You won't be disappointed.  CQ

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2008, 10:20 PM »

Good question! There are so many recipes to try and not enough hours in a day! But with so many members, it seems a tad disappointing that there aren't more feedback reports for each recipe which is generously submitted.

Regards
George

©2024 Curry Recipes