Author Topic: It's Greek to me... And Indian  (Read 6850 times)

Offline merrybaker

• Head Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
It's Greek to me... And Indian
« on: April 19, 2005, 07:43 PM »
This is kind of weird.? ?I was searching the web for base+onion+sauce+curry, and I came across this thread.? It seems to be a UK man who worked at an Indian restaurant in Greece!? ???
http://www.agni.gr/message_boards/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=7&TopicID=5760&ReturnPage=&PagePosition=1&ThreadPage=1

His base sauce is similar to Kris Dhillon?s, but has much more onion:
http://www.agni.gr/message_boards/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=7&TopicID=5914&ReturnPage=&PagePosition=1&ThreadPage=1

I haven?t had a chance to read through the whole thing, but thought some of you might be interested.? Also, the thread is current,? in case we want to ask him any questions.

-Mary?

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: It's Greek to me... And Indian
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 08:00 PM »
Superb, very interesting thread. I note he marinades chicken tikka for 1-4 days.

Just ready through the lot, he obviously knows what he is on about, some of the recipes I think are a bit odd but that is probably just down to regional variation.

His base only has turmeric and paprika for spices, I like my bases a bit spicier? ;D And you are right, its very kris dhillon
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 08:11 PM by Mark J »

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 08:23 PM »
I checked out the onion gravy
The phrasing in certain parts is word for word Kris Dhillon.
Because of that I don't think this can be genuine

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 08:28 PM »
Its not quite right and he has adapated some things for home cooking (no pre cooked mince in the keema for example) but he is replying quite quickly with many recipes not in Kris book

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 08:17 AM »
Thats a great find!!

Very interesting reading ive looked at most of the posts and theres a few recipes worth a look.

Whos the curry kid then, you Pete?

I wonder if you could answer a question for me please.
I have made your base sauce and Madras and I must say they are excellent, and obviously restaurant recipes as they are as close as I have ever got to restaurant results after 20 years of trying.
The question is:
There is always a taste in restaurant / takeaway curries that seems to be missing from home made ones, do you have any ideas what this could be?

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 08:54 AM »
Here is the recipe for the Madras, maybe worth ago but cant see anything different except the tandoori masala - what is this?

my favourite madras. try this take a wok add 3 tables veg oil or 3 tablesp ghee slice 1/4 onion 1/4 green pepper and 3 chillies. heat oil add onion? pepper and chillies fry for 2-3 mins add 1 & 1/2 teasp chille powder then add 6-7 ladles base sauce 3 thick slices toms and 1/2 teasp tandoori masala and chicken as cooked on my starters page under chat. 1/3 peprika 1/2 teasp salt turn down heat add 1 teasp garam masala 1/3 ground cummin keep cooking for 3-4 mins add 3-4 tablesp coriander. cook 2 mins and serve.

If anyone gives this ago let us know how you get on
S 8)

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 11:14 AM »
Great links!!   I shall certainly be trying some of the recipes over the next few days.  Well done Mary!

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 12:14 PM »
Here is the recipe for the Madras, maybe worth ago but cant see anything different except the tandoori masala - what is this?

This is almost exactly the Kris Dhillon recipe and she adds a teaspoon of tandoori marinade so I suspect this is what he means, although it could be tandoori spice mix. I don't know why everyone is getting so excited about this chaps' recipes, they are just Kris Dhillon rip offs.

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 12:55 PM »
Whos the curry kid then, you Pete?
No, that's not me.
There's nothing wrong with anything I have read of these recipes,but they seem ever so Kris Dhillon.
Some parts are exactly the same words as her book (Kris is a lady)

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 01:37 PM »
I was going to say the spicing seems a little out on the recipe for the madras...

In my opinion its all about the correct curry powder, which it seem all Indian chefs have a slightly different variation on, if you get that right, add some high heat, a good curry base, fresh coriander and stalks and your almost there.

S 8)

©2024 Curry Recipes