Author Topic: Curry Queen's Chicken Patia  (Read 18840 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Curry Queen's Chicken Patia
« on: February 09, 2008, 02:50 AM »
Moved to this section by CA

Chicken or Prawn Patia 

I have used Bruce Edwards Vindaloo curry for the base for my patia, although patia is meant to be of medium heat and then added 2 tablespoons sugar at the end and 1 1/2 tabs of lemon juice.  You can adjust these measurements to accomodate for yourself.  For those of you who are not familiar with the Bruce Edwards recipe here it is:-

4 tablespoon oil  (I use the oil that is taken from the gravy)
1 dessertspoon finely chopped green peppers
1 rounded teaspoon tomato puree
1 rounded teaspoon spice mix
2 teaspoons chilli powder
fresh chillies chopped (if phal required0
pinch methi leaves
2 pinches salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
7oz gravy
prepped chicken or prawns
chopped coriander

Method

Heat oil in pan and add pepper and fresh chillies if using them and let them sizzle for about 20 seconds or so, taking care not to burn them.  Take off heat and add spice mixture, tomato puree, chilli powder, methi and salt.  Cook these on again for another 30 seconds or so before adding the curry gravy.  Simmer for a couple of minutes and then add chicken or prawns.  Now add your lemon juice and sugar and simmer for a further minute or so.  Finish with freshly chopped coriander and enjoy! 
I always make a patia/pathia to a phal strength for my OH and use either scotch bonnet or dorset nega chillies when I can get hold of them. 

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Curry Queen's Chicken Patia
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 09:05 AM »
Hi CQ
     I hope you check in here!
I tried your recipe last night
It was one of my most successful curries
Thanks a lot, I will make this again
One question:-
Should there be any garlic ginger in the recipe?

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 02:19 PM »
hi cq
sorry did you say bruce edwards recipe for pathia, i have the curryhouse cookery printout that pete posted  and no where is there a recipe for pathia so is this actually an adapted recipe ie madras but more lemon /sugar and chopped tomatoes?

regards
gary

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 05:48 PM »
Hi gary, If you read the first post in this thread CQ explains that it is a modified version of the BE vindaloo, unless CQ says otherwise of course.

Offline currytester

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 09:07 AM »
Was in local curry house last night and managed to get into kitchen with very helpful chef.

The ingredients used and quantities for this recipe looked about right - only difference was the chef right at  the beginning wiped the pan with 1/2 tsp garlic puree and 1/2 tsp ginger - then added remainder of ingredients however instead of peppers he used thinly sliced onions - a good two tablespoons of them.

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 11:14 AM »
Hi Haldi, 

So glad you tried this recipe, it's one of my best along with dupiaza.  I have made them both so many times as they are our favourites.  In answer to your question, no I don't use ginger/garlic paste.  Sorry it's taken so long to get back, I have been having problems with pc.  CQ

Hi Currytester,

I have had different variations of patia in various different bir's and places and they do seem to vary from place to place.  I guess so long as you get the main base of this dish right then it doesn't really matter what you add to it.  It's down to everyones personal take of the dish. CQ

For presentation it's quite nice to cut some this slices of fresh lemon and lay them on top of the dish along with fresh chopped coriander.  CQ

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 01:02 PM »
Hi currytester.

That's great that you got into the kitchen. Can you tell us anything else? For example, the technique he used to cook the curry? Did he use fresh oil, did he use high heat, that sort of thing?

Offline currytester

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 03:49 PM »
Hi Secret Santa,

Heat was on medium I would say, chef literally picked up some garlic paste with back of serving spoon and wiped the surface of the hot pan with it. H then did exactly the same with the ginger - added a tablespoon of what looked like vegetable oil and then onions. He fried these for a couple of minutes then started adding the spices.
After a minute or so he added the precooked chicken fried for another minute then added base sauce. Turned heat to high and threw in around a tablespoon of chopped coriander leaves. He then added the sugar and a squirt of lemon juice from his bottle.
Quick stir and then into the takeaway container.Which he then sprinkled more coriander into.

Curry Done and internally digested 15 minutes later

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 08:21 PM »
picked up some garlic paste with back of serving spoon and wiped the surface of the hot pan with it. H then did exactly the same with the ginger - added a tablespoon of what looked like vegetable oil

Interesting technique that, garlic and ginger in before the addition of oil, very strange.

Offline vindamoo12

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 03:20 PM »
hi,
very new to making my own curry

made your patia recipe using your base sause also
i followed it to the letter but somehow i managed to put far to much ginger in it, and didnt realize till it was ready for serving. WHOA!!!! GINGER!!!
the only thing i could think of doing other than binning the lot was to add some coconut milk. and to my shock, it was actually very nice. whats that all about???

anyway, i have 3 lots of your (very gingery) base sause in the freezer. is there anyway i can rescue the sauce with adding something to slightly cancel out the ginger, or should i just bin it and make a fresh lot?

thanks in advance

©2024 Curry Recipes