Author Topic: AT WHAT POINT ARE WE NOW ?  (Read 6915 times)

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
AT WHAT POINT ARE WE NOW ?
« on: April 20, 2005, 09:11 PM »
The forum has got a bit long winded & confusing so in this thread i would like all of you to answer this question , with links if need be .

What is the most successful take-away clone recipe you are using at present for the base & vindaloo.
  Please only include one recipe & method.
  The reason is simple there are now loads of base mixes & Vindaloo recipes ,all very similar, but we need to clear up what we are doing at this   
   present moment.
  Hopefully we can then collate all the recipe information & come closer to our main objective, although we do seem to be coming up with the
  same conclusions.
  I hope to be going to the take-away this Friday/Saturday. etc.. etc.. 

All the best DARTHPHALL.(Curries from the darkside ).

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: AT WHAT POINT ARE WE NOW ?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 10:36 PM »
I have recently got as close as I ever have been to making a curry of restaurant standard.
However the "nicest" flavour of the curry still alludes me.
My curries are excellent but I want that extra something in them.
The curry I want to make perfect is veg vindaloo

I use the base I was given by a chef which is posted at:-

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3.0

I add the chicken jelly even though it's disgusting to make, posted at:-

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=203.0

and precook my veg in fried garlic ginger puree with a few spices, salt and water

I believe if the base is right then vindaloo should be merely a case of adding a little chilli and garlic
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 10:38 PM by pete »

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 08:08 AM »
Well im pleased that ive got mine just about right, I use my gravy and vindaloo recipe from here:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=179.0

Its the closest ive ever come to duplicating it at home.

I made a madras last night, same as the vindaloo but slightly less chili and a spoon of lemon juice and it was fantastic.

Im sure if you can't get the "taste" in some shape or form from this base your doing something wrong!

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 01:11 PM »
I would say Petes gravy as above, but Bruce Edwards from curry house cookery is not bad either (havnt tried too many others to be honest)

My Dhansak is the closest I have got so far and to me its perfect and has the taste http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=229.0, secret is make it early and leave it!

Offline thomashenry

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 09:40 AM »
Vindaloo:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=250.0

I think any light base would do here. Key thigns for me are the tom ketchup, sugar, and shake of lemon juice.

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 03:15 AM »
QUESTION - Why do people take an authentic recipe , omit key taste ingredients ,then consider it to be the same dish i.e. vindaloo ? It's like putting a Ford engine into a Mini and still calling it a Mini !

Offline thomashenry

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 09:25 AM »
QUESTION - Why do people take an authentic recipe , omit key taste ingredients ,then consider it to be the same dish i.e. vindaloo ? It's like putting a Ford engine into a Mini and still calling it a Mini !

This is beyond the remit of this forum! We are trying to recreate BIR style Vindaloo, not postualte on why it is so named!

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005, 01:37 AM »
I think thomashenry needs either to " chill a little " or get a life ! Don't take all the commentary to heart sunshine :)

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2005, 07:49 AM »
Dear CurryCanuk.
                     Perhaps you need a large gentleman named DARTHPHALL to visit you & explain the error of your ways using the subtle medium of a hammer ;D ;D.This forum is very self explanatory & if you do not share our combined interest in the fine art of curry cloning may i suggest you join an alternative forum, perhaps one that has a front page.
 "This forum is strictly for those who don't have the mental capacity to outwit a used teabag & completely miss the point to an concept that is more complex than boiling water". ;D :D ;D
   I hazard a guess that you come from an area in or near the USA ? :P :P
   But we do not blame you, being born an imbecile is genetic trait therefore not you fault.Although i bet you wake up chocking most nights , yes you are that stupid you forget to breath sometimes !!!  ;D ;D.
 The above statement is mainly to amuse & should be taken as an attack of sarcastic wit, thought i`d better explain it to you just in case "you didn't get it " !

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 01:25 PM »
DEAR DARTHPHALL :
 I think you and some of your pals may have missed the boat ( never mind mis-judging a general concept ) . Opinions are expressed and yes people in the free world can beg to disaqree . However , threatening an individual  ( and using sarcasim as a justifiable excuse ) over-steps the boundary . I suggest that ( assuming you have the intestinal fortitude ) you e-mail me and we can discuss the issue at length outside the forum  .

©2024 Curry Recipes