Author Topic: Fenugreek (Methi)  (Read 4230 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Fenugreek (Methi)
« on: February 18, 2008, 03:25 AM »
Fenugreek (Methi)

Fenugreek is available in various forms:

• Fresh leaves
  • Dried leaves
  • Seeds
  • Powder (from ground seeds)

Fresh fenugreek is available from some Asian grocers (though I've rarely seen it in any shops). 

Dried fenugreek leaves are far more easily available and far more commonly used by BIRs.  They can be stored like any other spice.  They impart a very distinctive, strong, musty, savoury smell and flavour to a dish.  They should be rubbed between your fingers, when adding, to release their flavour.  In my opinion, dried fenugreek leaves are an indispensible part of BIR cooking and are an essential component of Balti cooking.

Fenugreek seeds (and the associated ground fenugreek) have a completely different taste and are not a substitute for ground fenugreek leaves.  Ground fenugreek seeds are used as a minor ingredient in curry masalas.  The seeds (and ground) are often used in vegetable dishes, pulse dishes and in pickles and chutneys.  The seeds are also one of the five constituents of Panch Phoran.  The seeds (and ground) can be quite bitter, need to be used sparingly, and need to be carefully roasted or fried when used.

Photo (left to right):

• Fenugreek seeds
  • Ground fenugreek seeds
  • Dried fenugreek leaves
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 08:22 AM by Cory Ander »

Online tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Fenugreek (Methi)
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 01:37 PM »
I believe the fresh leaves come in two differing sizes, large leaves and small leaves. I have often tried to buy them in Brick Lane but have never found them in stock. Maybe they are not overly used in Bangladeshi cooking and I need to find someplace that caters more for Parsi style cooking where they are an ever present ingredient.

Looking in a couple of herb books it says that they can be grown in the garden by planting in mid spring so I think I will give it a go.

I wonder if the seeds I have in the cupboard would sprout or whether I should be looking for a seed pack specifically for planting out. Any ideas?

©2024 Curry Recipes