Author Topic: Cassia Bark (Jangli Dalchini)  (Read 14297 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Cassia Bark (Jangli Dalchini)
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2018, 11:48 PM »
OK, I am familiar with Ajoy.  I have used a couple of his different Garam Masala blends and recipes in the past.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2018, 09:23 PM »
The good Dr Pruthi will be 100 years old in three years, if he is still alive.

** Phil.

Apparently not. I have found several references to the late J S Pruthi in relation to the annual article writing award in his name. The timing of his departure from his mortal coil is not clear though with some mention of 1997, but then he appears to have written again in 1999. A very neat trick if he actually did that.

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2019, 12:30 PM »
Cassia Bark contains Coumarin which can be toxic, Ceylon Cinnamon also contains Coumarin but about 250 times less than Cassia, i dumped all my cassia bark last year and just use the thin Cinnamon sticks.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2019, 01:04 PM »
I suspect that few, if any, of us eat sufficient cassia bark to cause problems.  It is a b*gg@r to grind, and is generally used only to yield its essential oils, the solid elements (in general) being left on the plate.  As the flavours of cinnamon and cassia are so different, I shall continue to use both, each for the dishes which really benefit from the flavours that it carries.
** Phil.

littlechili

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2019, 07:15 PM »
After reading the article above, the only concrete scientific evidence of Cinnamon/Cassia consumption is the effectiveness in humans and beneficial to health.

Cinnamon (May) cause other issues the article indicates.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2019, 07:21 PM »
I had never heard of the cinnamon challenge until reading your linked page Phil. Humans can be really stupid. It is clearly not very clever.

As for the harmful effects of eating too much cassia, I doubt I'd ever eat anywhere near 5mg of coumarin a day. You'll probably be able to find similar health concern issues pertaining to many different foods and additives. There are trace amounts of poisons like cyanide and arsenic in many things we eat all the time. Unless you eat ridiculous amounts of these foods or are allergic then there isn't usually a problem.

©2024 Curry Recipes