Author Topic: Recipe Information  (Read 5483 times)

Offline merrybaker

• Head Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Recipe Information
« on: April 21, 2005, 04:39 PM »
When a recipe is posted, it would be a big help to know, in general,?whether the spoon measurements were level, rounded, or heaping.? Also, how large a ladle was?used for the curry gravy.? That way we could reproduce the curries exactly as intended.? Or has this already been standardized and I missed it.? Thanks.?

-Mary??

Offline Blondie

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe Information
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 05:34 PM »
Hi Merrybaker,

This is a good point that you make , and as far as I am aware we are not using common measures.? You are quite right that the recipes will never be truly replicated unless we standardise our measures.? I think also that when a recipe calls for a curry powder or a curry powder mixture (which has been investigated? here http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=239.msg1833#msg1833) the make of curry powder / garam masalla and the ratio of the mix used should be given.? It would also help, if it makes a difference to a recipe, that the make of other ingredients (eg Coconut block) are also given.
The weight of onions used instead of e.g. 4 onions or 4 large onions or 4 small onions would also help.

I have been disapointed by several recipes including some from restaurants that people have said are the bees knees, and this may be due to the above inconsistencies.

Cheers,

Blondie
« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 07:19 PM by Blondie »

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 08:17 PM »
I think that maybe some of this comes down to actually seeing a chef do it while explaining it.  They are very un measurements, I asked how much of this how much of that and it was all a bit of this a bit of that, no standard measurements all on sight.  Im sure i learned as much from seeing it as I did from getting the actual recipes.

Offline Blondie

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 09:18 PM »
Hi Curry King,

your point about actually seeing the curries cooked by the chef in the kitchen and there being a lot of judging by eye of the quantities is fully understood and accepted, but for any of you to sing the praises of a dish, you presumably have cooked it yourself at home and therefore must be able to much more quantify ingredients.

Please don't be like the chefs you have learned from and suggest that you can't explain how we can do it and laugh up your sleeve because you can.

I am not suggesting that this is what you are saying, but you get my drift (oops! sorry that's the baked beans making me drift, it's only because I can't make a restaurant standard curry YET!).

Thanks everyone for all your help, I'll get there one day.

thanx Curry King.

Cheers

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 09:24 PM »
I must confess that I have stopped measuring when I make a BIR curry now however if I ever post a recipe then my measurements are always as follows:

TSP - 5ml, this is a level teaspoon unless stated
TBSP - 15ml, again level unless stated.

I dont use it but I believe a desert spoon is 10ML and a rounded desert spoon is probably a level TBSP

Blondie, I dont think CK was laughing up his sleave, just passing on an observation, chill  ;)

cheers

Offline Blondie

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005, 01:03 AM »
Hi Mark,

I didn't mean to imply that Anyone on this site is being deliberately unhelpful, especially not CK, but it easy to overlook details of a set of instructions ie a recipe when you know what you are doing yourself,

Cheers All,

Blondie

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2005, 07:47 AM »
I don't tend to level anything of when making curry anymore, just stick the spoon in the spice, that looks about right and in it goes.  I think a lot of its down to just not having time for the risk of burning something.  Next time I make a curry il pre-measure everything and post back, I do think though that if a tsp is specified a little bit more or a little bit less shouldn't really make much of a difference.

Offline merrybaker

• Head Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2005, 06:12 PM »
if I ever post a recipe then my measurements are always as follows:

TSP - 5ml, this is a level teaspoon unless stated
TBSP - 15ml, again level unless stated.

I dont use it but I believe a desert spoon is 10ML and a rounded desert spoon is probably a level TBSP

Thanks.? That's what I used in making your Dhansak recipe, and it turned out great!?

Next time I make a curry il pre-measure everything and post back, I do think though that if a tsp is specified a little bit more or a little bit less shouldn't really make much of a difference.

Thanks.? The difference between "level" and "heaping" might matter, but otherwise maybe not.? More so with strong spices like fennel and cumin, less with coriander, I suppose.?

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2005, 01:50 PM »
All my recipes are in teaspoon,desertspoon & tablespoon ,all are heaped  spoons , but don't make it your mission to get it 100% exact . Asians when cooking curries wether authentic or take-away style do it by eye, method is as important as ingredient quantities.

Offline merrybaker

• Head Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2005, 05:25 PM »
All my recipes are in teaspoon,desertspoon & tablespoon ,all are heaped? spoons
Thanks, I'll make a notation on your recipes.

but don't make it your mission to get it 100% exact
???? I thought that was the whole idea of this website! :D

©2024 Curry Recipes