Author Topic: Growing Fenugreek  (Read 27871 times)

Offline Chris303

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Growing Fenugreek
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2008, 11:39 PM »
Sowed.

2 days later

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2008, 12:47 PM »
...... the smell is not that strong with the fresh leaves but if you pick off a few and leave them to dry out for a day or two the smell and flavour intensifies, it's the real deal.
 :D
Cheers
Mike

I tried this. I picked a load of leaves, removed the tough stems and dried them in the airing cupboard for a week. The typical methi smell develops and really is as good (if not better) than the boxed stuff.

SnS

ps: there was no smell when picked fresh

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2008, 10:34 PM »
Photo of the last post (above)

Smells better than the bought stuff but I haven't used it in curry yet. Drying it certainly brings out that typical 'methi' aroma - in fact the whole bloody airing cupboard now smells like a curry nosh shop.

SnS  8)

Offline TyeNoodle

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2009, 11:05 PM »
Ok well I have just started the germinating process, Interested to see how it goes. Cannot get Methi locally so it'll be ideal to have a go myself :)

Offline The Kris Dhillon

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2009, 06:31 AM »
George

I've just dry fried a handful of fresh methi and the aroma is definately not as intense as the dried stuff? We need more info - I think.
Hi Everyone,

I may have weighed into this debate a little too late but fenugreek in all its forms (seed, fresh leaves, dried leaves) is very common in Indian cooking, particularly in the north of India where I come from. 

As you have already discovered, it has a distinct "curryish" flavour and different forms of fenugreek vary in intensity of flavour and aroma, but that does not mean that one is better than other - they all have their uses and all of them are quite delicious.  The seeds when fried in hot oil or ghee are quite pungent and are typically used to flavour certain curries that would otherwise be quite bland, for example those made with marrows or yoghurt.  Fenugreek seeds are also sometimes used ground in spice mixes such as Panch Phoran. The fresh leaves are prized when they are in season and are often used like spinach to make a vegetable side dish (sometimes with potatoes), with chicken or lamb (like the Chicken Methiwalla in The New Curry Secret)or in bhajis (like onion bhaji only with fenugreek leaves).  When sundried, fenugreek leaves become more pungent and aromatic and are generally used in smaller amounts to add a good robust flavour to just about anything you want.

Fenugreek is one of the easiest herbs to grow.  You can use the fenugreek seeds from your Indian grocer, there is no need to pay more for a packet of seeds, and simply sprinkle them onto damp soil or compost.  Lightly cover with more soil or compost and germination will occur within days, particularly if the weather is warm.  You can harvest them within 3 - 4 weeks of sowing, and if you sow a small amount regularly you will have a supply all through the summer.  Always fry the fresh leaves in your ghee or oil along with the onions, garlic and ginger to bring out the flavour.  The dried leaves, on the other hand should be stirred in towards the end of cooking.

Finally, the dried 'methi' (Kasoori Methi) available in packets from Indian grocers is a different variety of fenugreek considered to be far superior in flavour and aroma than the variety generally available fresh in the UK.  This is the variety that is usually grown in India to use fresh or dried. You can buy Kasoori Methi seeds online.  It is just as easy to grow and you can save the seed each year.

Kris

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2009, 11:44 AM »
Thanks for your input here Kris.

Finally, the dried 'methi' (Kasoori Methi) available in packets from Indian grocers is a different variety of fenugreek considered to be far superior in flavour and aroma than the variety generally available fresh in the UK.  This is the variety that is usually grown in India to use fresh or dried. You can buy Kasoori Methi seeds online.

I planted fenugreek seeds (the spice type - not from a garden centre) last year (see earleir post). The resulting leaves were dried in the airing cupboard and I am still using these. I really cannot taste/smell/see the difference between these homegrown leaves and the prepacked dried methi leaves. Is it likely that the fenugreek seeds I used were the better quality 'Kasoori Methi' then? I am growing more this year from the same seeds and they are already filling the greenhouse with a smell of curry.

Rgds
SnS  :-\

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2009, 01:18 PM »
Fenugreek seeds are also sometimes used ground in spice mixes such as Panch Phoran.

Hi Kris,

It's interesting that you say that the fenugreek seeds are used ground in Panch Phoran?  I understood that they were used whole in this spice mix? 

If this is the case, are any of the other whole spices (i.e. cumin, fennel, mustard and wild onion seeds) also used ground in Panch Phoran?

Offline The Kris Dhillon

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2009, 08:21 AM »
Fenugreek seeds are also sometimes used ground in spice mixes such as Panch Phoran.

Hi Kris,

It's interesting that you say that the fenugreek seeds are used ground in Panch Phoran?  I understood that they were used whole in this spice mix? 

If this is the case, are any of the other whole spices (i.e. cumin, fennel, mustard and wild onion seeds) also used ground in Panch Phoran?
Hi Cory,  as with most spices mixes, recipes vary from region to region (and restaurant to restaurant). As I'm sure you already know, Panch Phoran simply means '5 spice mix'.  It is often a whole spice blend, but in some regions of India it is sometimes roasted and ground and used to marinate meat.  Kris

Offline The Kris Dhillon

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2009, 08:34 AM »
Thanks for your input here Kris.

Finally, the dried 'methi' (Kasoori Methi) available in packets from Indian grocers is a different variety of fenugreek considered to be far superior in flavour and aroma than the variety generally available fresh in the UK.  This is the variety that is usually grown in India to use fresh or dried. You can buy Kasoori Methi seeds online.

I planted fenugreek seeds (the spice type - not from a garden centre) last year (see earleir post). The resulting leaves were dried in the airing cupboard and I am still using these. I really cannot taste/smell/see the difference between these homegrown leaves and the prepacked dried methi leaves. Is it likely that the fenugreek seeds I used were the better quality 'Kasoori Methi' then? I am growing more this year from the same seeds and they are already filling the greenhouse with a smell of curry.

Rgds
SnS  :-\

Hi SnS, it is highly unlikely that the seeds you had were Kasoori Methi seeds (which by the way is not necessarily a better quality, rather a different variety considered - by Indians - to be better.  When fresh it has a slightly sweeter flavour and aroma than the 'common' fenugreek).  It is more likely that because you grew your own good quality herb, you ended up with a better product than something that may have been in the packet a long time.  Anyway, I think the difference between the two when dried is not worth worrying about.  However, if you intend to use it fresh, Kasoori Methi may be worth chasing up although you seem to be doing just fine with the seed you have.  Kris

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2009, 08:47 AM »
It is often a whole spice blend, but in some regions of India it is sometimes roasted and ground and used to marinate meat.

Thanks Kris, I didn't appreciate that Panch Phoran is used ground too, though I can see no reason why not to  :P

©2024 Curry Recipes