Author Topic: Growing Fenugreek  (Read 27876 times)

Offline The Kris Dhillon

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Growing Fenugreek
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2009, 01:04 AM »
It is often a whole spice blend, but in some regions of India it is sometimes roasted and ground and used to marinate meat.

Thanks Kris, I didn't appreciate that Panch Phoran is used ground too, though I can see no reason why not to  :P

There are few hard and fast rules in cooking as is clearly evident with all the individual creativity from people on this site.  Cooking would not be much fun if we all did exactly the same thing.  Kris

Offline john1955

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2010, 10:19 PM »
It doesn't seem to come much easier than this

Grow Fenugreek Leaves(Kasoori Methi) in your backyard

Definitely on my to do list :)

Offline currymex

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2012, 01:08 AM »

Hi, I live in the Americas and I have found dried methi leaves impossible to find. I decided to grow some
from seed I bought at a local spice store and they sprouted, very quickly I might add. If I want to produce
my own dried methi leaves, like the stuff available at Indian supermarkets in the UK. At what point do I pick
and dry them? Some have suggested when they have produced the first two leaves, others have suggested
later....

Any info on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2012, 07:24 AM »
Hi cuurymex ,

The first two leaves of most plants grown from seed are called 'cotyledons' and are not true leaves of the parent plant .. you'll need to wait untill the true leaves grow and the seed leaves ( cotyledons ) have withered .. given the right growing conditions you should be able to grow large plants with hundreds of leaves .. hope this helps you out !!     :)

Offline currymex

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2012, 05:32 AM »
Hi Colin,

Many thanks for the info on growing fenugreek / methi leaves.

Regards

Currymex

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2012, 02:57 PM »
Am having a go at this too, can't believe how quick the seeds sprouted.

Just sprinkled them on a seed tray of compost and put them in the airing cupboard, they had all started to sprout within two days.

Martin

Offline beachbum

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2012, 12:21 AM »
I've got a pot of Fenugreek growing outdoors (Currently low to mid 20s in South East Queensland) but although they have been going for over a month and have put on a fair bit of growth, they don't smell at all like FG, just like pea pods  :(

I'll have another go - I simply sprouted some FG seeds from an Indian grocers, they nearly all came up and I culled them to about 15 plants.

I'll crack this eventually  8)

Offline growyourowncurry

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2013, 07:26 AM »
Fenugreek does seem to germinate pretty easily. It's actually sold as a salad crop by some seed suppliers now and I've grown it for the leaves but also allowed some plants to set seed pods and successfully got small quantities of fenugreek seed. I sowed into modules and then transplanted into 10.5cm pots but they are always pretty scrappy looking plants especially if you let them go to seed. 

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2013, 08:20 AM »
I think beansprouts are actually fenugreek...but I could be wrong... :-\

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2013, 10:38 AM »
A huge variety of seeds can be used for sprouting including fenugreek, but the one commonly known as beansprouts will be mung bean.

Check out this site Mick.

http://sproutpeople.org/seeds/beans.html

©2024 Curry Recipes