Author Topic: Chicken Rogan Josh  (Read 19042 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Rogan Josh
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 07:26 PM »
Chris,

i remade this week and 100% spot on for my taste buds (tomato, garlic, chilli). it's simply fantastic.

i made the small changes as i said. the fresh toms were brill and really did it for us (i used 4 for 2 of us and chopped medium chunks - just to fit in mouth without need to cut).

i used the same saffron base as last time but changed the ratio/proportion of spice mix per person to 1 tsp LB's and 1/2 tsp of the Rogan Josh Masala (200ml sauce). i also made 1 portion with 1 tsp LB's and 1 tsp of the balti masala (the red one) and we liked that just the same (can't say which was better). Nb the Rogan Josh Masala was the original with the 4 off black cardamom so i have to retract that as with the adjusted proportion the taste was spot on.

sorry but i also added some (i mean a lot) of pre fried slithers of garlic which i do quite often whatever the dish is.

it's a clear 10/10 jobby for me. many thanks

Offline Chris303

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 10:01 PM »
Wicked. It is much better for you to adjust for your own taste buds - I do it  8)

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 02:32 PM »
looks fantastic, can anyone say where they got the balti base sauce, and rogan josh masala from? are these pataks, or are they included on this site somewhere? Ta

Offline Chris303

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 09:31 PM »
Use any base you want from this site mate.... :)

Masala mix is on the previous page.

no pataks ... blasthemy  ;D

Offline TwoBadMice

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2008, 09:45 AM »
This is fantastic and was my first proper home made curry

I'll post pics once i get them uploaded

im more a vindaloo man but i made this for the other half and she loved it

Many thanks for sharing this

Offline Malachyte

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 04:18 PM »
Tried making this one last night. I took a couple of Jerry M's tips into consideration (with the Rogan Josh Masala recipe listed here on  this site, I cut the black pods down to two, used a bit less of the RJ Masala in the dish, added fresh tomatos instead of tinned)

I haven't really had this in a BIR before, so I can't really compare it unfortunetly...but it was delicious :). Looked like the pictures here, so I think I did it right at least.  lol .

Only thing I need to do is modify some of the onion/tomato portions, which I played kind of by ear, and I think I over did it.

I found myself snacking on a bite here, and a bite there of leftovers after cleanup :)

Thanks for the recipe!

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 06:01 PM »
Can't wait to try this!

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 04:46 PM »
Malachyte,

much appreciate the reminder on this - it had gone off my radar and must start making it often.

just for info UB has a recipe which i have on my to do list - maybe of interest http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2711.msg24269.html#msg24269

Offline Malachyte

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 08:15 PM »
Malachyte,

much appreciate the reminder on this - it had gone off my radar and must start making it often.

just for info UB has a recipe which i have on my to do list - maybe of interest http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2711.msg24269.html#msg24269

Yeah, I'll be trying that one out. I need to find a good place in my area that sells lamb at a reasonable price :(. Here in the States it's not as readily available as in the UK.

There's a Mediterranean grocer opening up soon by the house that is supposed to have a huge spice inventory, and carry lamb as standard...so I'm looking forward to that :).

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 05:55 PM »
I need to find a good place in my area that sells lamb at a reasonable price :(. Here in the States it's not as readily available as in the UK.

i don't use lamb at all in any curry - must be a personal taste bud thing as i always stick to using chicken or leaving meat out completely.

©2024 Curry Recipes