Author Topic: Shish Mahal, Glasgow  (Read 9173 times)

Offline Chris303

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Shish Mahal, Glasgow
« on: March 02, 2008, 11:41 PM »
Was down at KRK on Woodlands Road picking up meat, spices and a new tava and noticed an Indian Restaurant I never knew existed - said est 1966 on the door so I thought must know what they are doing if they have been open that long. I was meeting my brother for lunch and we were going down to the Wee Curry Shop on Byres Road for a delicious curry, but it was pissing down big time and we thought **** it, let's try in here.

Very busy - good start.

Well it was a 2 course meal for about 7 bucks.

Firstly seen people eating spiced onions and popadoms, but we had not been offered any so asked for some. The spiced onions were dry and tasteless.

Had a chicken pakora. Enjoyable but tasted like a run of the mill chicken pakora from a kebab shop. Nothing special. My brother had some tandoori chicken on the bone. Not much meat - Less than expected. Again tasted ok, but nothing to write home about.

Main meals. I had a chicken saag karahi and my bro had lamb karahi.

Came out and I was very unimpressed. If you are bringing out a iron karahi it really means something special if it comes out sizzling to you. On touching the karahi it was warm and that was it - either made like that or has been sitting on a hot plate for ten minutes. The sauce was dry, cold, lifeless and stodgy. Had that taste of Indian food from years and years ago - curry has evolved in Glasgow way beyond this. My bros lamb karahi - again it was cold, tasteless and they had destroyed the sauce with red food colouring - not a vibrant looking red, but a dark browny red. Very dry and stodgy again.

Didnt stay for a desert. Both unhappy. Neither of us finished the meal. Bill came out and they had charged us ?5 for two cokes, and had the cheek to charge ?3 for the spiced onions and popadoms --- I didnt know that there was even a curry house in Glasgow that charged for that anymore... obviously I am wrong.

Needless to say wont be back.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 07:45 PM by Curry King »

Offline langy

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Shish Mahal, Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 07:39 PM »
I seriously have to disagree with this bloke

I have been to a number of Indian Restaurants across the UK an beyond and the Shish Mahal i must say beats the rest hands down.  Whenever i go for an eat out lunch or a main meal i go to this place and no other.  The Lamb Karahi he refers to as being bland is the best ive ever tasted and the lamb falls apart in your mouth it is so tender

Chicken pakora is also the best ive ever tasted and believe me i have tasted a lot, as for the popadoms, ah well, you pay for quality what more can i say

The Shish has not won the best Indian restaurant award for the UK no less than 3 times in a row for nothing!!!

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 09:51 AM »
Hey Just noticed this review. Honestly it must have been a night when the chefs had the flu or something as it is genuinely one of the best restaurants you will find anywhere. They were one of the two original Indians that took off big style in the 70s in the West End and today they still have relatively unique menu while still providing all the usual fare. The father of the present owner published the first book I ever found for cooking the stuff at home. He did what he could to help us recreate the goodies but of course held onto the secrets never mentioning base sauce but it helped and was really appreciated building them a Strong loyal following. Bir royalty in fact, if ever in Glasgow take it in its well worth it and I am glad someone else agrees. PP

Offline Phallguy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 05:58 PM »
I have been to Shish Mahal and it was nothing short of terrible. The food was bland and in my opinion lacked freshness. The chicken was also tough. We were not very impressed and wont return next time im in town.

©2024 Curry Recipes