Author Topic: Why is my curry base bitter?  (Read 32409 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Bitterness in base sauces!
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 03:04 PM »
just one other thought. a recent post a little while ago identified that the oil being used was to blame.

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 03:18 PM »
This subject seems to come up quite regularly.

If you blend, liquidise or grate raw onions it will take much longer to cook out the bitterness. Generally the smaller the onions are chopped, the more chemicals (enzymes) are released, and the longer it takes to sweeten.

Chopping onions with a blunt knife also has the same effect as it tends to smash through the cells (rather than cutting).

In my opinion, for curry gravies it is better to cook (fry or boil) roughly chopped onions (until sweet), then liquidise them.

Also onions (and garlic) should not be fried on high heat as this makes them taste bitter. Use medium - low heat.

Spanish onions also contain a lot more "acidic" liquid than smaller cooking varieties.

SnS  ;D

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 04:09 PM »
just one other thought. a recent post a little while ago identified that the oil being used was to blame.

Jerry

Are you referring to this post regarding the use of Pride GM oil?

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2271.msg20430.html#msg20430

SnS  ;D

Offline savage

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 10:30 PM »
I know I am brand new, but just to share an experience I once had.
I overdid the frying of my ginger and as I had no more in the house decided to use it. The result was a very bitter taste to the end product.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 08:08 AM »
smokenspices,

yep. that is the link to the post i was thinking of, many thanks.

i feel your post has pretty much sorted things.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2008, 01:31 PM »
It's a strange one this. I've had a run of bad base sauces in the past few months.

I made stew's (admin) base a good few nmonths ago now and it turned out bitter which it seems it also did for a good few others that tried it. But of course there were as many (or maybe more) who tried it and found it a great base, totally lacking in bitterness.

I then tried Smopkenspices base (the original unadjusted one) and that had some bitterness to it too.

My latest was the rajver base and I was expecting great things from this as it has had many favourable reviews, but it turned out to be the worst base I've ever made. I actually threw it away when only half finished, something I've never done before, it was just so bitter.

Now I've been racking my brains to see what I'm doing to end up with bitter results, but I just can't fathom it. I'm using exactly the same spices, pots, etc. that I have alway used. The only thing I know I did differently in the last two was use red onions and Tesco value onions, not the white (brown skin) medium sized onions that I would normally use. I'll revisit one of the bases eventually and use white onions and see what happens.

It just seems very odd that after what must be in excess of 100 pots of base sauce made over the years, all without any bitterness, I have three bad results on the trot. All very weird!

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2008, 01:48 PM »
Try the Saffron base again SS, using those little standard cooking onions.
I'm sure you'll have greater success this time. ;)

Interesting reading about onions here

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=75013

Regards

SnS  ;D

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2008, 02:06 PM »
I will try the saffron base again but my next one is going to be my standard slightly modified KD base because I know that's always been a winner for me. Now if that comes out bitter, I really will be worried.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2008, 02:31 PM »
The only thing I know I did differently in the last two was use red onions and Tesco value onions, not the white (brown skin) medium sized onions that I would normally use.
Sounds like you've found the problem. I have only ever used medium sized whites and opt to remove the scum during cooking. This seems to do the trick for me 8)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2008, 02:38 PM »
Yes it might be the onions, I dare say i'll find out when I get around to doing one of them again. You'll never win me around on the skimming of the scum though. I have never skimmed and (up untill recently) I've never had a bitter base.

©2024 Curry Recipes