Author Topic: Why is my curry base bitter?  (Read 32408 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Bitterness in base sauces!
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2009, 04:45 PM »
Hi Makum101

I can't tell you why you are getting bitter bases but a while ago now I had a really bad base making time. Every base I made turned out bitter and yet I was using the same ingredients, utensils, water etc. To this day I don't know what caused it and prior to that unfortunate period I had never made a bitter base. So perhaps you may just have to give it time and it will fix itself!  :-\

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2009, 08:04 AM »
Makum101,

CoR has a very good point which i'd overlooked - oil. i'm convinced for the boiling only method u do need a decent amount of oil in the pot. there is a balance though as  too much oil in the base is not good either.

i aim for 7% oil in the finished base volume or 14% of the onion wt ie ~100ml in 800g onion. trouble is for me i add extra oil to use it for cooking so don't know where the cut off is for helping to cook the onions. 

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2009, 05:51 PM »
Having started this thread, a while back now, I feel I have to meekly admit that I found out why my bases were bitter and it was nothing to do with onions!

Too much ginger was the problem, or possibly ginger that was not in some why 'ripe' or in tip top condition???

I cut back on the ginger and now everything's fine!

Worth a try......

Offline bighairybloke

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2009, 12:50 PM »
I came across the bitterness quite frequently, but in my case it turned out to be not frying the onions in hot enough oil before the boiling stages of cooking my base which is based on Darth's base.  I don't think of it as biterness though, more a 'harshness' that catches you at the back of your nose. 

If you think about frying onions for a burger or hot dog, there is never any harshness, just lovely oily sweet fried onions, so i concluded you have to fry them at quite a high heat and in small batches before adding them to the boiling pan.

Just my experience.

steve

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2009, 05:27 PM »
Hi BHB (Steve)

Yes it could be the 'uncooked' onions giving that 'bitter/harshness' but it is not necessary to fry onions on high heat. Onions should be fried gently (low or medium heat) for a longer period so that the liquid evaporates - at which point the onions will change colour (brown) very quickly. High heat/short time can easily burn them - and you will also have a very bitter/harsh taste.

When frying onions - before moving on to the boilng stage (adding liquids), I always check the onion for 'sweetness'.

also see here http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2491.msg21705#msg21705

SnS  ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes