Author Topic: Why is my curry base bitter?  (Read 32302 times)

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Why is my curry base bitter?
« on: March 03, 2008, 11:06 AM »
I've made base sauce many times now, and for some reason, sometimes they end up being rather bitter, although most of the time not!

Just wonder if anyone has any ideas what causes this?

I do know that it is nothing to do with not frying the garlic and ginger in oil before adding to the rest of the base.  I have ended up with bitter base having initially boiled the garlic'ginger (a la KD), but also having pre-fried it (a la many other recipies)!

Could it be the type of onion? I use the big Spanish sweet ones, and I've read -here and elsewhere- that smaller cooking onion should be used.  I would have thought though, that sweet onions would be LESS likely to produce a bitter result.

I generally stick pretty close to recipies to avoid introducing unintentional variables,

Anyway, just though I'd 'run this one by' everyone....
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 09:57 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Bitterness in base sauces!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 11:11 AM »
Make sure you boil the onions for longer, they almost need to stew to bring out the sweetness.
The best base sauce i have ever made was the one where i forgot about it boiling away and ended up over cooking the onions...brought out the sweetness though.

Stew

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 11:23 AM »
Thanks for that, the last lot of base I made came out bitter, and I must admit that I only gave the onions a total cooking time of one hour or so!

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 03:56 PM »
it's amazing how everyone has some difficulty which others don't. i've never had any bitterness in all the sauces i've made. lots of other problems just like anyone else of course.

i taste everything that goes in unless i already know what it tastes of ie onions.

so in short if it's not hidden in a spice for example i would agree to cook for longer is essential.

i think admin is spot on. i will always aim to over rather than undercook a base (you can always add water back if necessary).

i am 100% sure it's not the type of onion or any need for pre cooking - i just dump it all in the pan.

best wishes on sorting as i can appreciate how much of a bug bear it must be.

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 06:48 PM »
Try the Saffron base. I guarantee, if you follow the recipe exactly it will not be bitter.

SnS  ;D

Offline ast

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 07:23 PM »
Try the Saffron base. I guarantee, if you follow the recipe exactly it will not be bitter.

SnS  ;D

I'll second that.

I've tried 4 different bases (some several times), and I've never ended up with a bitter result.  I'd say Stew's right--you're not cooking it long enough.  Made the Saffron again last night, and I noticed that it took at least 20-25 min to really start boiling properly.  Unless you're making a small batch (like with 1 onion), I can't see how 1 hr would be nearly enough.

Good luck getting it sorted.

Cheers,

ast

Offline Rai

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 02:55 AM »

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 11:27 AM »
Unless you're making a small batch (like with 1 onion), I can't see how 1 hr would be nearly enough.

No onion need cooking for more than 20 or 30 mins. One hour is more than long enough - excessive even, although I know the folklore about cooking Italian ragu (bolognaise) sauce, base sauces and some other things for hour after hour. I don't buy it. My base sauces never taste bitter, with around 30 mins cooking.

Regards
George

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 12:49 PM »
Adding a spoon of bicarbonate of soda will ensure your onions breakdown very quickly.
I would expect a BIR to use this if nothing else to aid with cooking times.

Stew

Offline Rai

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 01:09 PM »
To ask an obvious question, which seems to have alluded everyone so far, what base recipe are you using adriandavid?  Perhaps people would then be better informed to give correct advice?

George, if you strongly doubt its the length of time of cooking the onions, what else do you suggest it could be?

©2024 Curry Recipes