Author Topic: Know your Onions!  (Read 11326 times)

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Know your Onions!
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 02:30 PM »
Can anyone tell me some nice herbs or spices I could add while frying my onions to make a chicken tikka have a more flavourful taste? Lately I have found that something is missing.
Why are you putting onions in chicken tikka? Sounds odd. Stick to ginger, garlic, spices and yoghurt and you'll be fine

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 11:57 PM »
Here is a text extract from a brilliant cook book 'Classic Indian Cookery' by Julie Sahni. If you haven't got a copy, it is well worth the price tag 9.74 (Amazon). SnS ;)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Classic-Indian-Cookery-Julie-Sahni/dp/1904010687/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211152696&sr=8-4

# A word of caution: Onions available here (UK) differ from those available in India. Because the Indian climate is warmer, the onion grown there is pungent and less juicy. This is a crucial difference, because the Indian recipes specify that onions should be ground to a paste before frying. This is impossible to do with our (UK) onions, as they become a puree or watery sauce in the process. Therefore, always finely chop the onions or slice them into thin shreds (never mash) before frying, so that you do not destroy the fibres that contain the moisture.#

So - in a nutshell -  the type of onion we use can make a big difference to the final dish.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 12:19 AM by smokenspices »

Offline Annunziata

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 05:55 PM »
It is true that there are advantages of onions. But there are certain things that most if us do not know. There are some ill effects of onions as well.

1. Latex and sulphur are contained in onions.
2. You get tears when cutting the onion because of sulpher in it.
3. The PH of the blood can be reduced because of onions.
4. Can prevent correct absorption of drugs. 

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 06:46 PM »
It is true that there are advantages of onions. But there are certain things that most if us do not know. There are some ill effects of onions as well.

1. Latex and sulphur are contained in onions.
2. You get tears when cutting the onion because of sulpher in it.
3. The PH of the blood can be reduced because of onions.
4. Can prevent correct absorption of drugs.
Not entirely convinced by this list !

I'm happy to go along with the sulphur content of onions, but on what authority do you base your claim that they also contain latex ?  Also bear in mind that some authorities argue that the sulphur content can be beneficial in combating the formation of cancer cells, reducing hypertension and assisting in the regeneration of hair follicles.

I'd also be interested to know on what authority you base claims 3 & 4 : I'm all in favour of keeping us curry chefs informed of the risks involved, but unsubstantiated claims can be more of a hindrance than a help.

** Phil.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 09:10 PM »
It sounds like some of thinking presented on this web page:

http://ramjeeawon.info/snp/shree-shree-baba-shree/ill-effects-of-onions-garlic/

I have read that some Indians consider onions and garlic a bit too naughty and I read that these people would use hing as a subsitute.

The bit about sulphur sounds like poor science to me. You could say the same about carbon. Carbon monoxide is a killer of course, but our bodies contain loads of carbon and we couldn't live without it.

Sounds like a load of twaddle to me.

Paul

Offline chelters1

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2011, 05:12 PM »
A freind of mine used to deliver butcher meat to Indian resteraunts ,he said they used o use a lot of minced onions or pureed onions in their cooking. This may account for the smooth texture in cooking ,anyone heard of this

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2011, 05:19 PM »
A freind of mine used to deliver butcher meat to Indian resteraunts ,he said they used o use a lot of minced onions or pureed onions in their cooking. This may account for the smooth texture in cooking ,anyone heard of this
Well, yes : almost every base of which I am aware contains a large quantity of onions, which (via various techniques) get liquidised/macerated/pulped until what remains is that wonderful smooth base that is the basis (no pun intended) of almost every BIR curry. 

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes