Author Topic: Soup  (Read 3149 times)

Offline Richard W. Rinn

• Chef
    • View Profile
Soup
« on: March 06, 2008, 08:13 PM »
Hullo!

Having made a few curry bases from the site, knowing what's in them, and seeing the directions usually specify the taste as something like a mildly spiced soup (and consistency not far off a perhaps more watery soup), I was just wondering if, at a push, any of you would consider knocking up a quick curry base by lightly spicing a can of soup, watering it down a bit and liquidizing? Haven't tried it myself. Just looked on Heinz web site briefly to see if I could find one that had roughly the right ingredients in roughly the right quantities (couldn't see one). Anyway, in theory, what do you think?  :-)  Obviously we're not going for BIR authenticity here, just perhaps in a rush, but wanting to use BIR recipes without making a big base type scenario.

Richard.

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Soup
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 09:36 PM »
Hi Richard

Interesting question  :-\

After reading you post with intrigue, my first thoughts were that perhaps a thinned down tomato soup could be used as an emergency curry base .....

..... then I thought, where are the onions? Maybe onion soup would be better ....

..... what about the vegetables. Ah I know, we use a vegetable soup ....
..... and the spices, garlic, ginger, oil ... well ........ we might as well make our own soup and we'll call it a curry gravy base. :D

So, in answer to your question Richard, I think maybe if you combine a tomato soup with an onion soup and a vegetable soup, add lots of water and oil, some essential spices (and maybe some ginger and garlic), boil it for a while, then liquidise, this may be something reminiscent of a reasonable curry base.
Worth trying ... nah. Costs too much and far too complicated. ;)

Regards

SnS  ;D

Offline Jethro

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 09:47 PM »
Hi Richard

Interesting question  :-\

After reading you post with intrigue, my first thoughts were that perhaps a thinned down tomato soup could be used as an emergency curry base .....

..... then I thought, where are the onions? Maybe onion soup would be better ....

..... what about the vegetables. Ah I know, we use a vegetable soup ....
..... and the spices, garlic, ginger, oil ... well ........ we might as well make our own soup and we'll call it a curry gravy base. :D

So, in answer to your question Richard, I think maybe if you combine a tomato soup with an onion soup and a vegetable soup, add lots of water and oil, some essential spices (and maybe some ginger and garlic), boil it for a while, then liquidise, this may be something reminiscent of a reasonable curry base.
Worth trying ... nah. Costs too much and far too complicated. ;)

Regards

SnS  ;D

How about a tin of Mulligatawny..Indian in origin and got most of the ingredients???
No worse than my curried beans on toast :)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 09:51 PM »
How about a tin of Mulligatawny..Indian in origin and got most of the ingredients???
No worse than my curried beans on toast :)

Yeh, thought about that too Jethro.  ::)

Unfortunately, I can't stand the taste of curry !  :P

SnS  ;D

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 11:30 AM »
Yuk :P Once you make a couple of bases, you'll have so much of the stuff in your freezer, emergency base will be the last thing on your mind. I can't give the stuff away!

Offline Richard W. Rinn

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 11:44 AM »
I've made quite a few, and I've none in the freezer!  :-0

Still think it's an idea with some degree of potential for a quick fix, if the right soup can be found.

Next time I'm in the supermarket I'll haunt the soup section and see what's available.

R.

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 12:01 PM »
hi rwr
in my earlier days of the search for curry nivarna i came across a site that had recipes for the base and i think curries using soups,but there is something about tinned veg soups that the thought of using them to make your base or curry with would make it taste like "plastic" if you know what i mean. it may have been something to do with pat chapman? called it the generic curry sauce.even he thought of it makes me ......yuk! have you read pete's brick lane demo that curry base took about 30 mins.
regards
gary

©2024 Curry Recipes