Poll

As a new member what deters you from posting? (poll started March 08)

Lack of cooking knowledge and fear of being classified a "newbie"
79 (21.4%)
Not sure how to confidently send postings on this forum (see 'How to Post' in this section)
78 (21.1%)
Nothing to say - quite happy reading  opinions from other members
81 (21.9%)
Don't wish to be an active member as I won't be visiting this forum regularly
2 (0.5%)
Would rather remain "in the background" but will visit regularly
92 (24.9%)
None of the above - please post your reasons
38 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 150

Author Topic: Posting messages as a new member?  (Read 94240 times)

Offline PlainPopcorn

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Posting messages as a new member?
« Reply #130 on: November 10, 2015, 08:32 PM »
If you don't ask, PopCorn, how can any of us even /try/ to help ?  Yes, of course there is a risk that someone will respond "Use the search function", but just because a small number of members may take that approach does not mean that a far larger number will not try to offer the help you need.  So ask away.

** Phil.

It's not that I won't ask, just not directly say "hey guys, I'm looking for a curry of the following description and have searched for it. Can you send me the right way for a recipe?".

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 10, 2015, 08:51 PM »
Well, I don't know what to suggest, I'm afraid.  As far as I am concerned, one of the most useful phrases in the English language is "I don't know".  If you can summon up the courage to write that, followed by a description of what it is you would /like/ to know, then I am reasonably confident that one or more of us will be able to help you.

** Phil.

Offline PlainPopcorn

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 10, 2015, 08:55 PM »
Well, I don't know what to suggest, I'm afraid.  As far as I am concerned, one of the most useful phrases in the English language is "I don't know".  If you can summon up the courage to write that, followed by a description of what it is you would /like/ to know, then I am reasonably confident that one or more of us will be able to help you.

** Phil.
This isn't the place to ask for recipes is it right? Shouldn't I do that in a different section of the forum?
And since there is a rule about double posting I left the names of the curries out.
I simply wanted to voice why I am hesitant to ask for a recipe directly as a newbie.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 10, 2015, 09:31 PM »
This isn't the place to ask for recipes is it right? Shouldn't I do that in a different section of the forum?
Yes.  The obvious place is BIR Recipe Requests.
And since there is a rule about double posting I left the names of the curries out.
I don't know which fora you have had the misfortune to have visited in the past, PP, but I can assure you that no-one here is going to castigate a newcomer who mentions the same recipe in two threads while learning his or her way around ...

I simply wanted to voice why I am hesitant to ask for a recipe directly as a newbie.
Understood, but as implied above, /no-one/ is likely to attack a newcomer who is genuinely seeking information.
** Phil.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 10, 2015, 10:05 PM »
Hey Yvonne welcome, go here and start a recipe request.
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/board,4.0.html

Most BIR do lots of vegetable side dishes and do full portions
to cater for Vegetarian Customers.
The most popular is the Vegetarian Thali, which is a good selection
of these dishes, served on a large platter.

Most of the Veg has had a Par-Cook, if not its fast cooked and
assembled on the line.
A Dutch Take Away will no doubt be similar.

Hope this helps ;) ;D

Offline PlainPopcorn

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 10, 2015, 10:45 PM »
Yes.  The obvious place is BIR Recipe Requests.
I don't know which fora you have had the misfortune to have visited in the past, PP, but I can assure you that no-one here is going to castigate a newcomer who mentions the same recipe in two threads while learning his or her way around ...
Understood, but as implied above, /no-one/ is likely to attack a newcomer who is genuinely seeking information.
** Phil.
Your guess is right on the mark, I frequent a different forum that is very strict about double posting and just very strict in general.
But with that forum it's more clear where a certain question should go so I understand that they jump on anyone who doesn't read the forum map first.
Some forums also have (sometimes non official) rules about newbies making requests for content (that would be recipes or information about sauces in this case I suppose) so I certainly wanted to avoid coming over as rude or lazy.

I posted my question in the trainee chefs/beginners questions section since it's not really a clear recipe request and I'm sure it's a beginners question so more at home in this section than in the recipe request subforum.
Here it is: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,14166.0.html
I just read the forum rules/etiquette to see if it mention anything against posting links, but I didn't see any.
When I've learned a bit more about BIR recipes I'm sure to post outside the beginners section.

Thank you for the information about how this forum is.

Offline PlainPopcorn

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 10, 2015, 11:02 PM »
Hey Yvonne welcome, go here and start a recipe request.
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/board,4.0.html

Most BIR do lots of vegetable side dishes and do full portions
to cater for Vegetarian Customers.
The most popular is the Vegetarian Thali, which is a good selection
of these dishes, served on a large platter.

Most of the Veg has had a Par-Cook, if not its fast cooked and
assembled on the line.
A Dutch Take Away will no doubt be similar.

Hope this helps ;) ;D

The thali looks amazing. It's my first time seeing it, I haven't come across it on traditional indian home cooking sites. Doing a search there they only talk about thali in the context of restaurants of religious ceremonies.
Thank you for the information.

Offline bilywhizz

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 07, 2015, 09:31 PM »
Hello all, joined along time ago but didn't know how to make my way round this site, so giving it a go now, so thought I'd say hello to every one....hello. Think its still on the wrong thread though so sorry. Should imagine it should be on the thread..just joined introduce yourself, but it doesn't have REPLY at the top for me to post only...
I agree with you, Im still trying
    * Mark Read
    * Notify
    * Post new poll

so sorry again ladies and gentleman

Offline MEB

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 28, 2016, 02:11 AM »
There won't be a reason for me NOT to post... You guys might find a reason to stop me posting my jibber though  :P

Offline foureyes1941

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 05, 2016, 03:26 PM »
Hi, I'm a new member and want you to say what a fantastic group this is. I found it by chance as I was looking through Indian recipes on the internet. I have just come home from spending three months in India and am enthralled by their cooking skills and have been learning how to cook various recipes with friends I've made over there. I came back armed with loads of spices including tamarind and kokum (used in fish curries) and loads of dried red chillies. The most noticeable thing is that all the dishes I was shown were completely different to the curries we have been consuming over here for the last thirty years or so in the various local restaurants. They are quick to cook and tasty but are nothing like curries over here, in fact, nothing like the curries in the restaurants over there either (Goa) this is why I have been searching online and came across this site.

©2024 Curry Recipes