Poll

As a new member what deters you from posting? (poll started March 08)

Lack of cooking knowledge and fear of being classified a "newbie"
79 (21.4%)
Not sure how to confidently send postings on this forum (see 'How to Post' in this section)
78 (21.1%)
Nothing to say - quite happy reading  opinions from other members
81 (21.9%)
Don't wish to be an active member as I won't be visiting this forum regularly
2 (0.5%)
Would rather remain "in the background" but will visit regularly
92 (24.9%)
None of the above - please post your reasons
38 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 150

Author Topic: Posting messages as a new member?  (Read 94200 times)

Offline redabroad013

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Posting messages as a new member?
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2013, 04:45 PM »
Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen,  Simon here, a welshman living in Dubai.

Thai Curries are my speciality but also cook most other sorts. Living in the melting pot that is Dubai allows me to buy most the ingredients needed for the various types, so that's what I do!

Offline Gartois

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2014, 09:36 PM »
Hello ladies and gents,
                                         I'm new to this forum. I enjoy cooking as a relaxing hobby at weekends. I have always thought cooking curries was highly technical and time/ingredients intensive. I would love to be able to create a delicious curry for my family but have been to scared to try. I am looking for help and inspiration to achieve  a wonderful meal.
I look forward to learn from this forum.
Thanks for your time.

Offline Snibborg

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2014, 04:56 PM »
As I work away from home, I decided to buy a flat.  As a result, I'm now, at the age of 58, starting to learn to cook.  The problem is my wife is an excellent cook and although she has never stopped me cooking, I've always felt intimidated.  I liken it to learning to paint when you are given a painting set and setting out - circle for a head, stick body, two sticks for legs, two for arms, etc., whilst the wife is painting a Michelangelo next to me.

So, as a result, as I'm living alone I feel quite liberated and want to cook my favourite meals - curries.  I've been eating curry since I was four, as I was the youngest of 4 and my sister had married a Pakistani.  As a result, I was eating this food when everyone was saying that garlic was 'foreign muck' and yoghurt was ordered from the milkman, who didn't understand what it was.

Anyway, enough waffle.  I'm glad to be here and look forward to further experimentation.

Offline Samurai

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2014, 11:10 PM »
While it is not my intention to offend anyone, this site is clearly over-moderated.  Likely won't be posting here again but thought I'd share this parting thought.  Cheers.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2014, 12:00 AM »
Either you're being sarcastic, or your post was meant for another curry forum.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 11:13 AM by DalPuri »

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2014, 01:17 AM »
Determination, grit, guts, obedience, discipline, tenacity, never-say-die, never-say-lose, clear objectives, training daily without fail. meditation/prayers.

I take it you may not have some of the qualities of a Samurai

best, Rich

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2014, 12:06 PM »
While it is not my intention to offend anyone, this site is clearly over-moderated.  Likely won't be posting here again but thought I'd share this parting thought.  Cheers.

What's upset you, then? Or did you only register a couple of months ago, so you could make such an unreasonable comment now? Not your intention to offend anyone? Really? Well, the only two people here as active moderators are myself and the forum owner. We could hardly moderate less if we tried. I only delete spam and edit-out the worst cases of vulgar language and personal insults. What specific examples of moderation would you give or, if DalPuri is right, what examples would you give of posts which should have been moderated, in your opinion, but were not?

Offline madpower

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2014, 03:41 AM »
hi,i have been a member for some time but this is my first post i have been in the background reading all the good recipes and tips and my curries have improved no end but the bir taste is still not there,the only time i ever got that hard to mistake bir taste and smell was by accident a short while after i started cooking curries,one day i decided to put the ingredients in the frying pan in a different order to what i normally did as i was not getting good results,whilst in the middle of this the phone went then there was a knock at the door and i forgot about the curry then there was this amazing smell of a Ta the pan was nearly dry so i added some water to it i tasted to see if it was burnt but it tasted like a real bir curry delicious and the house smelled like one for days,i then went out had quite a few beers and forgot what i did and what i used as i had a lot of ingredients on the table but did not use them all but it was only the usual suspects,after that i do not believe there are secret ingredients i think what i made was something like a tarka or bhaagar that they put into a base so i am pretty positive the secret lies in the technique,i will keep trying my hardest to get that result again but i can say i have made one bir at least.

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2014, 08:07 AM »
please don't leave
It won't be the same without you

Offline madpower

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2014, 02:33 AM »
the secret to bir as you call it is in the technique,i was going to disclose this secret to the people that give me a warm welcome,i made out in my last and only post that i did not know much just so i could see what sort of people i was putting out there misery and who i was helping,obviously by some of the posts i have seen even on this page it is not friendly orientated so i will not reveal anything here.

©2024 Curry Recipes