Author Topic: Adil Balti - Birmingham  (Read 5763 times)

Offline Chris303

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Adil Balti - Birmingham
« on: March 09, 2008, 10:04 PM »
This is the establishment that holds the original and oldest claim to being the first "Balti" house in birmingham.

http://www.adilbalti.co.uk/

Can I first say - coming from Glasgow I live on curry either in restaurants of my own creations so I know what to expect from one.

Well first walking in - time warp - flock wallpaper, varnished wood walls.

Food is absolutely tremendous.

I had the Balti Garlic Chilli Chicken - the consistancy of the sauce was so good. Smell delicious and taste out of this world.

Amazing.

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Adil Balti - Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 10:15 PM »
Hi Chris

I was always led to believe that the first Balti houses started on the "Balti Run" ( Ladypool Road) which I had the ultimate pleasure of visitng on a number of occassions back in the late 70's.

Is Ladypool Road not still nickamed the "Balti Run"?

;D

Offline Chris303

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 10:35 AM »
Adil sits on Stoney Lane which runs adjecent to Ladypool road - Adil reports as being the first in the full Sparkbrook area - a claim the locals back up - and even Pat Chapman backs up in his Balti cookbook.

I have been to a few in the area and Adil was best I think.

Offline cheekyphil

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 05:54 PM »
this is the original and the best,i was lucky enough to live in moseley in the seventies,just round the corner,when it opened up,they had this unique taste that no other restaurant could match.
years later i moved to stourbridge and started going to mr daves restaurant in lye,and they matched this amazing taste,sadly it is not there any more,they sell them in spar and other supermarkets,but alas no were near that original taste.
i would love if any one know what ingreediants they used to put in to make such an addictive taste

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 09:30 PM »
Never been to Ladypool Road in reality but -

Just had a virtual walk around The Balti Triangle with Google Maps, photo date May 2012, so not that long ago.
The Famous Adil on Stoney Lane, has a banner on the closed down building, instructing people that they have moved the business to Ladypool road.
Which is where Bengali Bob got that good looking Balti Madras in his Balti Thread.
Next door to Adil is Roti Mahal and was selling "4 Roti or 3 Naan for a quid" bargain if that price is the same.

Interestingly The Punjabi Paradise, of the Andy Munro Balti video fame,
is now Fargo's Food Factory, selling all kinds of fast food.

Their website looks like fast food meets CBBC TV.

Shame a bit of The Balti history has gone.

Mixed feelings about Google Maps, but thats technology.
cheers Chewy

Offline foureyes1941

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 05:55 PM »
Hi, have seen this write up of Adils and just wanted to update. The new restaurant has reopened in the original Stoney Lane site. There has been loads of money spent on the refurbishment and it is now a very smart looking place. We have been going there for thirty odd years and the food is still the same good standard, we wouldn't dream of going anywhere else. (and we live about thirty miles away now)

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 06:49 PM »

©2024 Curry Recipes