Author Topic: MSG again  (Read 2046 times)

Offline grimmo

• Chef
    • View Profile
MSG again
« on: April 26, 2005, 03:06 PM »
I was in an airport lounge the other day and I had a plateful of chinese food. I'm not sure what the dish was but it was chicken in a midly spiced sauce with noodles - something similar to a Sezchuan (excuse spelling).

Now while it looked and tasted totally different to a curry, there was an underlying element to the taste that I think was very similar to 'the taste' in a BIR curyy.? As chinese food of this type is loaded with MSG I wonder if this is something that should be looked into? It kind of makes sense if the missing ingredient used? by the trade but not by joe public is a flavour enhancer as opposed to something thats a natural ingredient, and would also explain why it is not readily divulged by BIR chefs as an ingredient. I also wonder if the use of chicken stock jelly is a more natual means to a similar end result?

I plan to experiment with this next week sometime, but if anyone tries it some more first then please give me/us a shout with your results.

Offline Blondie

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: MSG again
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 03:38 PM »
Hi Grimmo,

I just happen to have been experimenting with MSG this morning.? This is the second time I have tried.? The first time I decided that on its own it wasn't the answer, but today I have decided that IT COULD BE PART of the answer.

The reason for saying this is that I made a base sauce that was very close in taste to a sample madras sauce from the takeaway (without the heat), that I was determined to try and get that little bit closer.

As one of many experiments I tried, I added a small amount of MSG to a small portion of my base.? It did give a step closer to the takeaway in the respect that it lifted the flavour with a touch of brightness or freshness that I was not able to achieve with any other ingredients that would normally be included in a curry.? IT DID NOT, HOWEVER GIVE THE MISSING TASTE that I am looking for.?

BUT I AM BEGINNING TO WONDER IF WE ARE ALL LOOKING FOR THE SAME TASTE, PERHAPS IT MIGHT BE AN IDEA FOR US ALL TO TRY AND DESCRIBE "THE TASTE"

HERE http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=252.msg1925#msg1925

A SMALL INDICATOR THAT IT MAY BE USED IS THAT IS ON THE SHELF INMY LOCAL INDIAN SUPERMARKET, AND THIS IS NOT A SHOP THAT SELLS CHINESE / THAI INGREDIENTS.? INCIDENTALLY IT IS JUST CALLED FLAVOUR ENHANCER.

Cheers Grimmo,

Blondie
« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 03:55 PM by Blondie »

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: MSG again
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 03:44 PM »
BUT I AM BEGINNING TO WONDER IF WE ARE ALL LOOKING FOR THE SAME TASTE, PERHAPS IT MIGHT BE AN IDEA FOR US ALL TO TRY AND DESCRIBE "THE TASTE"

I actually sat here after reading that trying to describe it in my head and now my brain aches, impossible to do I think? ::)

Even harder I think is to describe in words that smokey\burnt taste of a dhansak, espcially when its not smokey or burnt   :-\

©2024 Curry Recipes