Author Topic: Best way to cook tikka?  (Read 9705 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to cook tikka?
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 02:22 PM »
When the weather is bad and I can't use the BBQ I tend to use this technique. I know this smokes the kitchen out, but as long as you leave all the doors and windows open and have the extractor on then this also works.

In the bottom of your grill pan place some of those wood chips, then place under a very hot grill for around 5 minutes until they heat up and start to smoke a little, then add the skewered meat on top of the grill bit and cook for around 4 minutes each side.

It's not quite the same as a BBQ but it does give you an alternative when the weather is bad, and they actually taste quite good :)

Offline Garnett

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 04:55 PM »
What's the best way, using only standard kitchen equipment?
In the bottom of your grill pan place some of those wood chips, then place under a very hot grill for around 5 minutes until they heat up and start to smoke a little, then add the skewered meat on top of the grill bit and cook for around 4 minutes each side.
I love it! There I was hoping for an easy way forward and you've told me to make a barbeque in my kitchen!

I'm starting to realise my limitations are not knowledge based, just commitment to the cause!

I love the idea, but I've got to come clean - I was hoping for a more straight-forward idea.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 05:52 PM »
The other method I use is a griddle pan on the stove. As long as you don't put too much of the liquid marinade in the pan, then on a high heat fry the meat on a griddle. Not only will it cook the meat but also give you that charred/griddled/Barbeque effect but without that smoked flavour.....

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 01:07 AM »
I was hoping for a more straight-forward idea.

Hello Garnett and welcome to cr0.

By far the simplest way is to fry the marinated meat in a hot frying pan (a few pieces at a time to avoid them stewing in their own juices).

Next simplest is to skewer them, suspend them across a baking tray and cook them in a hot oven (or under a hot grill).

Next simplest (and to my mind the closest to the result from a tandoor) is to skewer them and cook them on a hot barbecue.

You can always sizzle them, on a really hot cast iron sizzling dish, with a little oil or ghee, lemon juice and onion before serving (but maybe that's becoming too complicated)

I think some of these (and other) suggestions have already been made in this thread?

You'll also find some other ideas in the "tandoori and tikka" recipes section here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?board=74.0
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 01:17 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 01:34 AM »
PS:

....the absolute simplest way is not to marinade the meat at all, but to simply fry it, with some tandoori masala/paste (even Pataks, for example), as the first step to making your curry. 

I sometimes do this as an expediency (i.e. when I can't be bothered with all the kerfuffle of marinating  :P)

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2009, 09:20 AM »
2 peneth here ! the chef at my local said do tikka in the oven when at home. i find the electric oven at full temp works very well. only needs about 13 mins though. else it dries out.

Offline Garnett

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2009, 02:57 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Think I'll try the "suspended above baking tray in oven" method first.

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 07:02 PM »
Having tried cooking it on metal skewers suspended under an electric grill on nearly max heat i can recommend the method. I used Blade's recipe which i think was important but they came out beautiful. It was better than a lot of BIRs so i learned that the smokey flavour isnt entirely necessary. I would still use a bbq or tandoor if it was possible but i was very happy.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2010, 07:22 PM »
I have a separate gas grill and oven and I preheat the grill to maximum for 10-15 minutes then lay the tikka on foil and place on the grill pan (this saves washing up and also you get reflected heat from the foil), and when turning dark I turn them over and cook through.

This works superbly for lamb tikka also.

Offline artistpaul

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 11:51 PM »
I'm trying to figure out the best way to cook chicken tikka to get as close to "tandoor" as possible.

A) gas barbecue
B) oven grill
C) oven bake at highest temperature

I'm also wondering should the tikka skewers be touching the grill/rack, or suspended (not touching metal)

Wondering if anyone can definitively say one way works better than others.

Interested too if anyone has tried one of those small home clay tandoors.

Thanks
Josh

just go to Blades recipe AND method

BEST EVER FOR YEARS

Simple instructions

HUGE results NEVER bettered on this site END OF

Too late now to give u a link

Just type Blade in searh and it should come

100% better than ANY BIR uve ever ate  ::)

©2024 Curry Recipes