Author Topic: New Here  (Read 6245 times)

Offline The Apprentice

• Chef
    • View Profile
New Here
« on: March 13, 2008, 01:50 AM »
Hello ,

I am new to this forum and I was wondering what is the best curry to make for a beginner? I want something relatively simple and quick to make .

Do I need any specific equipment or utensils ?

Thanks for any help you can give me .

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: New Here
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 02:53 AM »
Hi apprentice.

You only need something to blend with. Like a stick blender or a jug(?) blender.

Other than that pick a base recipe and a main recipe and cook away. I doubt you will be too dissappointed.

Offline The Apprentice

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 10:53 AM »
Thanks Santa ,

I have a bamix which should do the job nicely , are tradional curries easier to start with than a BIR style curry?

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 11:20 AM »
Thanks Santa ,

I have a bamix which should do the job nicely , are tradional curries easier to start with than a BIR style curry?

Hi Apprentice

Welcome to the forum.

Making a traditional curry from scratch (as in most recipe books), is usually more complicated and overall far more time consuming than using the gravy method.

If you use the gravy method this will provide you a large amount of gravy stock which you can freeze. This simplifies stage 2 (making the curry) which more closely resembles the method uses in most BIR's (their's isn't from the freezer of course).

If you want to make a curry gravy recipe without adjusting the recipe quantities, you will need a large cooking pot. For example: the Saffron recipe produces about 4.5 litres of the stuff - enough for about 22 individual curries! Other base gravy recipes are similar quantities.

Depending on the recipe used (quantity), you will also need plenty of space in the freezer (I put 400 ml in each carton .. so 11 plastic takeaway cartons).

As an intro to the gravy method, it may be useful to purchase Khris Dhillon's book "The Curry Secret" (about 4.00 quid).

Regards

SnS  ;D

Offline Chris303

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 12:04 PM »
Thanks Santa ,

Heck no... Most BIRs need to be able to get things out quickly. Traditional dishes can simmer for upto an hour to get the spices right and the meat tender.

Check out "50 Great Curries of India" - This is regional and most of the dishes take time because you are cooking off your onion, garlic, ginger, meat etc from scratch. It is a great book though. This is where I get a lot of my ideas from - and then convert recipes into BIR style

Offline The Apprentice

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 12:33 PM »

Hi Apprentice

Welcome to the forum.

Making a traditional curry from scratch (as in most recipe books), is usually more complicated and overall far more time consuming than using the gravy method.

If you use the gravy method this will provide you a large amount of gravy stock which you can freeze. This simplifies stage 2 (making the curry) which more closely resembles the method uses in most BIR's (their's isn't from the freezer of course).

If you want to make a curry gravy recipe without adjusting the recipe quantities, you will need a large cooking pot. For example: the Saffron recipe produces about 4.5 litres of the stuff - enough for about 22 individual curries! Other base gravy recipes are similar quantities.

Depending on the recipe used (quantity), you will also need plenty of space in the freezer (I put 400 ml in each carton .. so 11 plastic takeaway cartons).

As an intro to the gravy method, it may be useful to purchase Khris Dhillon's book "The Curry Secret" (about 4.00 quid).

Regards

SnS  ;D

Thanks SnS ,
I see I have much to learn , not sure if I want 11 containers of curry base in my freezer though  ;) , parhaps I can downsize and reduce the quantities?

I shall have to go through this site with a fine tooth comb I think .

Thanks for your suggestions and your warm welcome  :)

Offline The Apprentice

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 12:45 PM »

Heck no... Most BIRs need to be able to get things out quickly. Traditional dishes can simmer for upto an hour to get the spices right and the meat tender.

Check out "50 Great Curries of India" - This is regional and most of the dishes take time because you are cooking off your onion, garlic, ginger, meat etc from scratch. It is a great book though. This is where I get a lot of my ideas from - and then convert recipes into BIR style
Thanks Chris , do you have any particular recipes you would recommend , as I am not familiar with BIR style cooking ...
something that's idiot proof would be good , I am a blonde lol .

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 02:08 PM »
Hi Welcome to cr0,

If your after something quick and simple have a stab at this one which I was shown:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,179.0.html

I still use this now from time to time and the results are very good for not much effort.

Cheers
cK

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 02:25 PM »
Welcome to the gang! :D

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 03:29 PM »
Hi apprentice, if your just starting out in BIR cooking i really recommend this website

http://www.curryhouse.co.uk/rsc/index.htm

I started out with curryhouse recipes, clear instructions/methods theres better stuff here at cr0.co.uk but its a good benchmark to get your self into restaurant cooking.  ;D

if you want a really quick one pot curry try this one

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2237.0.html

©2024 Curry Recipes