Author Topic: Faking Chicken Tikka  (Read 3834 times)

Offline thomashenry

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Faking Chicken Tikka
« on: April 28, 2005, 08:29 PM »
I've come across an easy way to come reasonably close to the texture, appearance and flavour of tandoor cooked chicken tikka, and thought I'd share it with you. Here is what I do:

(for one)
Chop a chicken breat into tikka sized chunks. Put them in a bowl, and drizzle with a small amount of oil. Squirt in a teaspoon of garlic purre, 1/2 a teaspoon of turmeric, and 1/2 a teaspoon of paprika, plus a pinch of chilli and red food colouring. Mix well with your hands to evenly coat, and leave for about 30 mins.

To cook, take a nice thick cast iron wok/karahi, and heat a tiny amount of oil to a very high tempertaure. Chuck in the chicken. Proceeed to stir fry. Stir very quickly, else the chicken quickly sticks after a few minutes, the chicken will be sealed, and you can relax a bit. Keep stirring at a slower rate, and keep the heat nice and high. After 5 minutes, or so, you should be getting a hint of charring on a few of the pieces, at this point remove from the heat. If the heat was high enough, the chicken should have JUST turned from pink to cooked. It will be incredibly tender and juicy, and look just like chicken tikka. If you've gotten it to char a bit, it will taste quite like it as well. It is then ideal to chuck into a curry as 'pre cooked' chicken, and serve up. However, you can't cool and re heat it, otherwise you lose the tenderness and juicyness.

Also, dont use more than  pinch of chilli powder, or you'll do your throat in when frying it.

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Faking Chicken Tikka
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 06:39 AM »
Ive tried this method as well after marianding chicken tikka, came out very good

Offline blade1212

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 11:23 PM »
Now this sounds interesting. I'm convinced the curry shops don't use yogurt. I'm trying this one !!!

Offline blade1212

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 10:59 AM »
This worked very well and the tikka looked perfect.  One other tip I'd recommend is using a hot cast iron griddle pan. This produces the same blackend effect and cooks the chicken in 6/7 mins. I also added lemon juice to the recipe to help tenderise the chicken.

PS I used too much chilli powder and almost needed and oxygen mask to recover :)

I'm convinced the BIRs use this type of recipe (ie without the  yoguart)

Offline thomashenry

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 09:27 AM »
hahah nice, yeah it's pretty lethal if you're not careful :)

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 09:48 AM »
Enough chilli's to need an oxygen mask yes !!! join me my young apprentice (DARTHVADER needs that suit coz he fell into 1 of my curries not some cool Volcano). :D :D.

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 10:37 PM »
hey i stay in Glasgow and have been eating curries for yrs, i just made this recipe and its amazing, thanks very much

do you know where i could get a recipe for the red pakora sauce they serve up in the glasgow area

ashoka red pakora sauce ???

many thanks

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 03:38 AM »
do you know where i could get a recipe for the red pakora sauce they serve up in the glasgow area...ashoka red pakora sauce ???

Try these threads gazman:

Ashoka pakora sauce:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?PHPSESSID=76c247e354678e939e5f3346a3f59034&topic=3215.msg28779#msg28779

Starters & Sides Dishes (pakora, etc):  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?board=88.0

Starters & Side Dishes (sauces, etc):  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?board=89.0

©2024 Curry Recipes