Author Topic: UB's Garlic Chili Chicken  (Read 25800 times)

Offline TyeNoodle

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: UB's Garlic Chili Chicken
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 07:29 PM »
Hi UB I tried this recipe using precooked chicken. Thought I had killed it when I got the temp up high to cook the spices, sorta burned the onions and garlic a bit as I kept burning my hands trying to stir! I need a longer handle on my ladle I think  ::)

BUT.. bloody hell dont it taste good! The better half thinks it tastes just like the local bir's, its her fav so she asked me to make it. Its got 'that' taste to the garlic, maybe burning helped!!

Bit hot though, even trimmed right down on the chili's.

Superb!!

Paul

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 12:25 AM »
Hi TyeNoodle glad you like it  :)

also love your set up there gas burner on a workmate your neighbors must think there a restaurant next door!! looks lovely thanks for the feedback.  :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 07:33 AM »
TyeNoodle,

love the burner set up photo. can't help but notice the piping and the bike (fond myself but too old now). u need to get a chef spoon if not already.

i like the size of the stove - had thought it was much bigger (same size as mine but obviously yours with the bigger output as std).

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 08:12 AM »
Thought I had killed it when I got the temp up high to cook the spices, sorta burned the onions and garlic a bit

TyeNoodle,

i'm still working on technique (in CA's smokiness post). currently i'm cooking the onion and garlic less than before and starting off with quite a watery mixture of spices (water in the tom puree). i then cook the spices until they're almost dry "start to crater" (until i chicken out from the thought of burning) before adding the base.

the garlic cooking method i'm still not decided. the best taste is from my local TA - there they are slithers which are very brown almost burnt. i think they must pre fry them as opposed to frying from the start. i've tried both methods but still not sure.

Offline TyeNoodle

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 06:42 PM »
Hi Jerry, I'm following what your saying. I chickened out a bit too for fear of burning but what the hey. Not as if I'll have disgruntled customers if it all goes pete tong!

I love the burner, spot on for what I want!

The bikes, well got a few and they are my main transport really! Raced for a few years too. Your never too old either!!

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 08:17 AM »
TyeNoodle,

just a further thought on your set up - u might benefit from a pan with a longer handle. my flames lap up the side and would burn your handle.

best wishes,

Offline TyeNoodle

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2009, 03:38 PM »
TyeNoodle,

just a further thought on your set up - u might benefit from a pan with a longer handle. my flames lap up the side and would burn your handle.

best wishes,

mm thanks yes my hands are now hair free!  ;D

I'm going to try this again on weds but for some people who dont 'do' hot curries. How do I tone it down without losing too much of the flavour? Obviously leaving some chillies out would help but should I trim down the amount of chilli powder too?

Thanks!
Paul

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 07:00 AM »
i've not made this (too hot) but nearest i make is Admin's Jalfrezi. i slit the chilli's lengthways and remove the seeds - that does it - u get the green chilli taste but without the heat. i would have to halve the chilli powder as well to 1 tsp.

Offline currymonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2009, 11:05 AM »
I made this last night and it was lovely!. Thanks UB!  :)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2009, 11:28 AM »
I made this last night and it was lovely!. Thanks UB!  :)

I just got some base out of the freezer, I'm gonna have to have a go at this tomorrow. Just off to make some Chicken Tikka now :)

©2024 Curry Recipes