Author Topic: UB's Garlic Chili Chicken  (Read 25829 times)

Offline weeble

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: UB's Garlic Chili Chicken
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2010, 12:49 PM »
Hello

This recipe sounds delicious! Going to try it very soon!

Just to check - so for 4 portions, add every x 4? So, 6tsp of spice mix? Probably obvious but tought I should check before starting!! lol.

:)

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2010, 02:20 PM »
Hi Weeble,

Just a thought - you might have trouble cooking 4 portions in one go if that is what you were hoping to do.

Most of the recipes and cooking techniques on here are for a single portion as that's what a TA or BIR chef will do, usually in a small pan.

You might have to cook the meal 4 times for 4 people, if this makes sense.

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2010, 05:05 PM »
You might have to cook the meal 4 times for 4 people, if this makes sense.

Yeah i would recomend just that. All the best.

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2010, 03:16 AM »
The photo for this recipe's got me going - that looks beautiful UB!  :o The amount of chillies in there is madness though isnt it? :o
I like chillies and have quite a high threshold but i cooked a madras yesterday with 3 green chillies split lengthways and a tsp of kashmiri (weak) chilli powder and it was pretty freekin hot!
Do you use indian chillies? I cant find out the name of the species but the ones most BIRs use that are only a bit longer than birds eye chillies.
I've been using them recently as my nearest shop is a bangladeshi veg shop and they cost practically nothing. 26p for a big handful! Very hot though!

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2010, 03:31 AM »
I have a great method for doing this that I highly recommend. Just chop the stalk bits off the chillies, then put them in the sink. Run the cold water and between your thumb and forefingers roll and squeeze lightly from the thickest part at the top working down. All the seeds come out in around a seconds or two doing this. Without the seeds / placenta the chillies are less hot, so you can add more, getting even more chilli flavour.

Good work bobby i agree with that. Toning down the strength of chillies is a useful tip because i really like the flavour but dont want to set fire to everyone's mouths. I learned an extension of this idea from david thompson who cooks thai food. Soaking the deseeded and washed chillies in warm salty water takes even more of the heat out of them, meaning you can use even more!
Soaking for about 20 mins is best i think but experiment.
You still get the flavour, which means you can use loads, like i did the other day, to make a chilli sauce which was pleasantly flavoured. If i hadnt used this method i would have had to bulk up the sauce with another vegetable of cornflour or something.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2010, 05:11 AM »
i really like the flavour but dont want to set fire to everyone's mouths

That's interesting chinois, I'm the complete opposite!  I want the heat of the chillies but not so much the flavour (I'm a phal lover!).  I can't wait for my Bhut Jolokia to bear fruit (I just hope they are not too flavoursome, like habaneros are)!  :P

PS:  If only our rabbits would stop munching on my chilli plants...they seem to love the leaves!  :-\
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 05:43 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2010, 05:29 AM »
I want the heat but not so much the flavour (I'm a phal lover!)

Maybe we should ignore your sub-vindaloo recipes then...  ;)

Kidding

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2010, 05:36 AM »
I want the heat but not so much the flavour (I'm a phal lover!)

Maybe we should ignore your sub-vindaloo recipes then...  ;)

Kidding

Ha, I know you're only joshing Josh!  Actually I like the whole range of curries and my preference is to mix and match 2/3rds stinky hot phal with 1/3rd mild korma (or such like) on my plate.

But my point was that I see the distinct flavour of most fresh chillies counterproductive when  trying to get the heat (piquancy) into the dish

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2010, 05:37 PM »
The photo for this recipe's got me going - that looks beautiful UB!  :o The amount of chillies in there is madness though isnt it? :o
I like chillies and have quite a high threshold but i cooked a madras yesterday with 3 green chillies split lengthways and a tsp of kashmiri (weak) chilli powder and it was pretty freekin hot!
Do you use indian chillies? I cant find out the name of the species but the ones most BIRs use that are only a bit longer than birds eye chillies.
I've been using them recently as my nearest shop is a bangladeshi veg shop and they cost practically nothing. 26p for a big handful! Very hot though!

Hi, Yeah Indian green chillies finger length type and i use about 10 per dish i can usually get though about 6 before drinking a bucket of larger, but i do like the taste of the green chili so this my normal order if I'm eating out, where i get any thing from 10 to 15 chillies on my plate  :o

i love it but my bro eats though them as if there not even there!!

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2010, 12:54 AM »
I can't wait for my Bhut Jolokia to bear fruit (I just hope they are not too flavoursome, like habaneros are)!  :P
One of the hottest chillies in the world ay? Yikes, that sounds scary! I mean i'll try one, i'm not a wimp, just a little bit scared!
The hottest chilli i've had was a scotch bonnet. As if eating a quarter raw wasnt bad enough the head chef pretended to be caring and kept fetching me drinks - drinks which he'd rubbed the rim with the inside of a scotch bonnet  :o The burning went on for over half an hour before someone owned up. I was trying not to show my pain!

©2024 Curry Recipes