Author Topic: Diggy's Dansak  (Read 2330 times)

Offline Diggy

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Diggy's Dansak
« on: March 23, 2008, 06:26 PM »
800g Chicken
1 Cup Lentils (Pre-Cooked)
1/2 Cup Pumpkin
1 Large Sweet Potato (chopped into small pieces)
2 teaspoons Garlic Ginger Paste
4 Onions (chopped finely)
2 Tomatoes (chopped)
1 Green Chili (chopped)
Vegetable Oil
Coriander
Tamarind
Garam Masala
Cumin Powder
Coriander Powder
Chilli Powder
Turmeric
Kasoori Methi
Cardamom Powder
Sugar
Salt

1. In a large pot, put the Lentils, Pumpkin, 2 Onions, Green Chili, 2 tsp Oil, 2 tsp Turmeric, small handful of chopped Cilantro, 1 tablespoon Kasoori Methi. Add water until it covers all ingredients.

2. Bring pot to a boil, and then leave on medium heat to simmer for 25-30 minutes. All the ingredients should be overcooked so it blends easily.

3. While waiting for the Lentil mixture to cook; cut the Chicken into bite-sized pieces and poach in hot water in a large pot until cooked. In the meantime, take a small piece of Tamarind and soak in a bowl of hot water - don't use too much water, as you'll want it to be a paste, not a runny sauce.

4. To prepare spice paste: combine 2 teaspoons of Garlic Ginger paste, 1 teaspoon Chilli powder, 2 teaspoons Cumin powder, 1.5 teaspoons Cardamom powder, 2 teaspoons Coriander powder, 1.5  tablespoons Kasoori Methi, 1 tablespoon chopped Cilantro, 0.5 teaspoon ground Nutmeg, 0.5 teaspoon Cinnamon powder.

5. When Lentil mixture is done, let it cool for 10-15 minutes, then put in a blender and blend for 2-3 minutes, or until blended very well. Add 1 tablespoon of sugar to the mixture.

6. Return Lentil mixture to the pot, and leave on low heat. Add ? teaspoon Chilli powder and salt to taste. Stir.

7. Heat a pan with oil, and fry the other 2 chopped Onions until pale brown. Add the 2 chopped Tomatoes and spice mixture and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat until the spice mixture has broken down and blends with the Onions and Tomatoes.

8. Add Onion-Tomato-Spice mixture to the pot of Lentils, and stir very well. Cook for 15 minutes on medium heat while stirring regularly.

9. Strain the Tamarind in water you've set aside so that you get about a teaspoon of the mixture, and add it to pot. Cook for a few more minutes and serve.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 06:36 PM by Diggy »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Diggy's Dansak
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 10:48 AM »
Hi Diggy,

Just so you know, this wouldn't count as a BIR recipe because it doesn't use a base sauce, so it doesn't really belong in the BIR section of the forum.

Offline Diggy

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 07:05 PM »
Ah...my bad. I guess I should flag it so it can be moved....

Offline Fandango

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 04:48 PM »
Hey Diggy

Thought I may give this a go tonight but have a question.

You say 1 cup of pre cooked lentils, then go on to say to cook the lentils and the other veg for 30 minutes.

Just wondering whther there is any need to precook the lentils and then cook them again - couldn't I just cook the lentils, cook the veg, then add the lentils at the end?

Also, just wondered where the recipe came from...

Cheers
F

Offline Diggy

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 09:10 PM »
Yea that makes more sense. As long as it's a giant mushy mess to be ready for blending, you're in business.  ;D  The recipe came from a website I visited a long time ago...I don't remember where, but I've adjusted/added/subtracted ingredients to my liking.

Speaking of which, feel free to

1) Substitute the Tamarind paste with Lemon juice
2) Add eggplant to the vegetable mix (often included in other recipes)
3) Use fresh Fenugreek instead of Kasoori Methi (I can't find it fresh)
4) Cook the lentils using the chicken broth you get when poaching the chicken pieces
5) Add a pinch of cinnamon and ground cloves to the spice mixture. Gives a more comprehensive flavor.

Sweetness, sourness and spiciness are all characteristics of a yummy Dhansak. 

I personally love it very spicy, so I add more hot peppers and load it with a little more Kasoori Methi, but that's a question of preference. I am modeling mine off a curry house near my place but I still haven't completely emulated it. I live in Canada, so I can't get the BIR experience, but this place is pretty damn good.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 09:25 PM by Diggy »

©2024 Curry Recipes