Author Topic: cooking for large numbers  (Read 19825 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: cooking for large numbers
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 11:12 PM »
This is where the problem may occur. I know whenever I've attempted to cook larger portions, it never tastes the same. Now I never cook more than two servings in one pan.

Great - we're thinking along the same lines, after all. I agree with you but would still hope the quality downgrade (moving from a 0.5 to 2.5 litre batch quantity) would be fairly small in the context of normal commerical catering type standards. I can't know, though, because I've never tried it!

One further thought - chicken could be pre-cooked along BIR lines in huge quantities as well, just like the BIRs do. So, hopefully, the only remaining 'risk' is concerned with cooking the Madras.

Offline Davy

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 10:51 AM »
Hi,
Thought I would get my tuppence worth! I used to own a pub and I am still a DJ. Might I suggest you do it buffet style? I see a lot of buffets in my line of work and I also see a lot of wasted food through over provision. If it were me I would do say 3 curries one being a Korma (dead easy) Bobby Bhuna's is a cracker and the recipe is on this forum. Do a hot one and say a CTM. Not everyone is going to like curry so you may only be cooking curry for 60 or 70. You can then buy say 10 Naans. If they are as big as up here you can slice them up into Dipping portions say 10 slices per naan? You are going to have to prepare in advance without question but I would make it part of the meal and not THE meal if you know what I mean. Think about things like samosas and bhajis that can also be heated and you can buy in buffet size nibbles. Spiced onions and popadoms can be prepared in advance and stored in the fridge. As has been said plenty of pilau rice. Cheap and easy to reheat. If you can get a bain marie on loan or hire you can reheat the curry in the kitchen and transport it to the bain marie to keep it hot. Do bit of plain fare as well such as crisps and sandwiches and maybe a sweet line such as cheese cake etc. This way you are not giving yourself tons of work and getting stressed (Been there!). After all you want a bit of time at the party too. One last thing! Not a golden rule but from experience you will always get no shows at a party. I work on a 70% sucess rate for turn out. Invite 100 get 70 or so. Hope this helps  ;D       

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 12:00 PM »
Can i also suggest you integrate this recipe into your meal

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,874.0.html

This will seriously impress people, you could marinade days in advance then heat up on the night in the oven, even better hook up a BBQ at the venue.

You wont look back.
S

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 04:26 PM »
I know whenever I've attempted to cook larger portions, it never tastes the same. Now I never cook more than two servings in one pan.

I couldn't agree more. Even following Darths recipe for 4 comes out naff compared to doing it for 2. You just can't get the consistency or flavour right. Since the base doesn't instantly evaporate when using large volumes, you end up boiling the arse out of curry. I think that while cooking for that number, a non BIR method should be implemented. The chef at my works canteen knocks up a stunning Lamb Rogan Josh (to my great surprise). I think he gets about 30 portions out of it and it only takes him three hours. The lamb is so soft it melts in your mouth. He won't give me the recipe though...

©2024 Curry Recipes