Author Topic: when to add the spices  (Read 2183 times)

Offline cg13

• Chef
    • View Profile
when to add the spices
« on: April 13, 2008, 02:11 PM »
Ok I know what spices I want in my curry

For instance

Turmeric
Coriander
Cumin
Chilly powder
Paprika

But just when do I add them?

I have seen many posts that use similar sometimes even the same spices for the base source and for the main curry so just when do I add them because using the same spice blend for the base source and the curry seams sill

I find my self using a hell of a lot of spice and it isn’t cheap

Also say I wanted to include a spice infusion
Fry hole spices like cinnamon and cardamom do I include this in the base or in the main curry

If BIR us the same base source for every different curry sorely they cant use all this spice in the base source because the curries wouldn’t be very varied.

Perhaps they use a simpler spice mix in the base source

Can some one please shed some light on this mater
I am confused   

Offline Tamala

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: when to add the spices
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 04:16 PM »
I dont know why, but I cant help but think that your bogus cg13  ;)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: when to add the spices
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 08:58 PM »
Mr Bogus,

when i 1st joined the site for a short while i thought i was going to get know where - the reason being there was so much information that i did not know how to assembly it.

what was clear is that by reading and searching u can almost answer all of the questions yourself. i say almost and that's where the rest of the members come in. they can explain, guide and provide their experiences to short cut the answer for u.

so
But just when do I add them?

this is a spot on question and there is a lot of info on the subject. i recommend u search on toffee smell as i feel it?s quite key and has helped get me a step improvement.

in brief the spice u refer to or mixture is what i call a spice mix - this is only put in at the frying stage not in the base. i also mix with it curry powder (1tsp ea per portion 200ml finished curry). u could add other spices at the frying stage but i don't believe that is normal BIR practise (but of coarse like many of us i don't know for sure). i certainly add cardamom now and again.

the base for me is more of a bland sort of soup. the spices don't really jump out of it although i believe a good base should include garam masala.

i believe that every different BIR curry does start out life ie at the start of the frying the same. different ingredients are then added to the basic ingredients (ie base, spice mix, tom puree, onion/garlic) to change the final taste ie cream coconut in CTM, green pepper in a balti.

u should not be using that much spice in both the base and ea curry. also try not to buy from western supermarkets as prices are extortionate. if you have not got a ml spoon set ie 5ml tsp and 15ml tbsp then i would try and get one.

what base have u made and how much spice are u using in ea serving. of the bases i've made i would say the saffron base uses the largest amount of spice (20 tsp) but it makes 4.5l or 22 off 200ml curries which is 1 tsp per portion - so not that much.

in terms of ea portion of curry i use 1 tsp spice mix and 1 tsp of curry powder so again not that much.

hope this starts to help a little.

©2024 Curry Recipes