Author Topic: SnS's simple Madras style curry  (Read 19473 times)

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: SnS's simple Madras style curry
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2008, 10:58 PM »
OK, I took a stab at this. Pics and observations to follow.

I used reclaimed oil from a fresh batch of Saffron (with JerryM's modifications)
I used pre-cooked chicken (quick fried in a few tablespoons of curry base)

Photo 1: Ingredients Ready
Photo 2: Spices and pastes
Photo 3: Onions frying in reclaimed oil
Photo 4: Onions after 5 minutes (brilliant aroma with the oil)

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2008, 11:02 PM »
Photo 5: Adding the garlic, ginger, and tomato paste
Photo 6: Adding the spice mix
Photo 7: Adding the chicken (I did this after the first ladle of base)
Photo 8: All of the base added

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2008, 11:05 PM »
Photo 9:  Adding the chutney and coriander
Photo 10: Final simmer
Photo 11: Ready to serve (with Bruce Edwards Pilau rice and UB's naan)
Photo 12: Madras in the serving dish

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2008, 11:08 PM »
Last photo: my dinner.  :P

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2008, 11:25 PM »
Hi Josh

Not quite sure how this turned out for you but I'm a little bit concerned after looking at photo 5.

1) Did you use 3 tbsp oil (albeit reclaimed)
2) Was this medium heat
3) Was it stirred continuously.

It just looks a little 'compacted' and maybe on the verge of burning (this could be down to the contrast /colour in the photo though.  8)

The rest looks great. Looks the business.

SnS

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2008, 11:37 PM »
OK where to start... the curry was excellent. I'd be very happy if I got this from a good takeaway. I agree with BB - this is about an 8.5 out of ten, and definitely a keeper.

Some other observations:

- I wasn't sure what the effect of the large amount of methi was. It certainly made the curry more aromatic and pungent, but I had trouble putting a finger on how it affected the taste

- I missed the lemon juice. My usual Madras (Bruce Edwards) uses it, and I definitely missed the slight tartness that it added

- The mango chutney, in my view, had a negligible/unnoticeable impact. I didn't notice any sweetness.

- Using the reclaimed oil was a winner. My kitchen smelled like a BIR within minutes of just adding the onion.

- I didn't need to add any water or additional base during the simmer phase, probably for the same reason (modified Saffron base) that Jerry noticed with Stew's jalfrezi

Bottom line, this is a great Madras. The explicit instructions were very useful. I will probably try the BE Madras with this new base tomorrow (while this one is still in my mind) and compare the two. The thing I like best about the BE Madras is the speed I can knock one up. There is no onion pre-fry, nor any extended simmer. Curious to compare. Will report back.

-- Josh

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2008, 11:40 PM »
<<
1) Did you use 3 tbsp oil (albeit reclaimed)
2) Was this medium heat
3) Was it stirred continuously.
>>

Photo 5 (the pastes) or 6 (the spices)?

Yes, 3 tablespoons oil, and the heat instructions were exactly as described, and yes the stirring was constant (except the few seconds I took to take a pic!) Definitely not burnt. It may look compacted because of the pan. Its a flat bottom wok so it may look compacted.

Josh

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2008, 12:23 AM »
Hi Josh

Like I thought, the camera doesn't always give a good representation.
Otherwise, the other photos look spot on.

Glad the Madras recipe turned out okay and at least provided you a decent Sunday dinner.

Having tried it Josh, do you think this recipe is a fair and useful introduction to cooking using the curry base gravy method (as it was intended) or is there anything you would change (besides the lemon juice)?

Regards
SnS

ps It was photo 6 not 5.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2008, 12:34 AM »
Yes, as an intro to the base method its a winner. The exact steps, temperatures, and times take a lot of the guesswork out. I experiment with a lot of recipes, and oftentimes you just have to guess on the method, what's in the spice mix, etc. Trying this one gave me a real baseline I could compare the results of others.

I could imagine having someone new to curry cooking pick out a base, make this Madras up, and be amazed with the outcome.

As for the recipe itself, I think the lemon juice is a must. I also wonder about the 10 minute simmer at the end, and if its necessary. While I didn't add any water or base, it was starting to get into Bhuna territory in terms of dryness.

--- Josh

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2008, 01:15 AM »
Hi Josh

Thanks for your comments. Warmly welcomed Josh.

Firstly the dryness you mentioned (bhuna) should be avoided by adding hot water (or more base) to keep the 'typical' fluidity of a 'Madras' (I did notice your final Madras appeared a bit dry - I sometimes also like it like that). This is specifically mentioned in the recipe as it is important.

The cooking time of 10 minutes allows the spices to mix and blend and allows the fine onions, garlic and ginger to 'dissolve' into the curry (can't think of another word) ..... ?

When you add base, if the base is thick and lacks water (as can happen if you dissapate most of the water by overcooking the base in an attempt to achieve a taster, thicker 'soup'?) then it may be too thick to 'water down' the curry and the boiling process (cooling) is replaced with a frying process (higher temp).

The secret is to add (hot) water (as Stew has found with his recent Jalfrezi) ... or add more watery base.

Adding more of the original watery 'Saffron base' would make the curry thinner and more fluid. Adding a thicker version of the Saffron base (or other) will also require addition of water (which counteracts the creation of a thicker base (for purpose of taste) in the first place).

There is a very fine line between a 'tasty curry soup' and a 'versatile curry base', and in my opinion (for what its worth), if the base tastes really nice (almost a curry sauce), then it is too rich and is not suitable as an 'all round' curry base.

Conclusion: for now, leave the Saffron base as it is - it may not taste great but the water has a part to play in the final stages.

The lemon juice can be added, but I guess that is personal preference (like the salt, coriander and mango) but borders on turning a Madras into a sweet and sour affair (pathia style). I also add lemon juice and other ingredients, but I wouldn't describe the final taste as a 'Madras' despite liking the taste.

Best regards
SnS

ps: also going to post this on the Saffron thread.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 02:12 AM by smokenspices »

©2024 Curry Recipes